Kal-El (the BookGeekBeauty)'s Reviews > First Date

First Date by Krista McGee

Mar 08, 12

Read from February 28 to 29, 2012

My FAVORITE biblical story is about Queen Esther,she was my role model when I was young. That's why I liked this book, it was really channeling the story. A modern retelling if you will.

Also, this one is very, very overtly Christian. It doesn't shy away from mentions of Addy's faith and it definitely plays an important role in her life and the story is told from her perspective. It isn't something you can completely ignore in the story, yet at the same time it isn't too preachy either. Like I said, it's a big part of ADDY'S life, but not for everyone in the story either. I liked that Addy is put through many tests and trials, and she is forced to learn more about herself, as well as those around her. She begins to learn more about her late parent's missionary experiences in Columbia, and realizes that nothing worth having ever comes easy. With a supportive uncle, and a new friend (co-contestant Kara), Addy is able to face every obstacle placed in front of her. Additionally, she finds that the President's son, Jonathon Jackson, is not who she first thought. I definitely don't like how Addy is not honest about being a Christian, because she feels others will judge her. I know Queen Esther changed her name (from Hadassah to Esther) and hid the fact that she was a jew. However, that was during a time when jews were being persecuted. So I think thats understandable.
First date reminded me so much of Meg Cabot's All American girl. Hot president's son. Check. Stubborn girl, check. I really wanted to like it as much as I like All American girl so unfortunately I was a bit disappointed.

This is the kind of book you will either love or hate, no grey areas. If you love the story of Queen Esther like I do I recommend. I gave it three stars because, though I did like it, i feel it fell short.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Date.

02/28/2012 page 103