Ngaire's Reviews > The Likeness

The Likeness by Tana French

Oct 27, 08

bookshelves: books-i-loved, mystery-thriller-suspense
Read in October, 2008

I'm being forced to read this between course readings, so I can't devote as much time as I would like to this, damnit, and it's killing me because it's so good. I also can't read it at night, because it makes me all jittery - French is like the master of building tension and suspense. So I'm stuck with reading it for an hour at lunchtimes and waiting for the weekend (when I'm not down in Macon for my stinky class).

Updated to add: Ok, finished it. Excellent, I think. I didn't like it quite as much as In the Woods - because it's not as haunting, but it is definitely up there. You have to accept the central, credulity straining conceit that Cassie looks so much like the dead girl that she could change places with her, but once you do, French's characters are just so well drawn and vivid, you feel like you know them, and her mysteries are so tightly wound. I'd figured out before I even picked it up that Rob Ryan from In the Woods wouldn't show up, so I wasn't disappointed on that score.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Likeness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn I missed Rob, though. I figured we wouldn't see him, but I still missed him. The bugger.

Ngaire Yeah - I kinda got all excited during the part where Cassie rings him up in the middle of the night, and he somehow just knows it's her. But of course, it's not his time right now. I have a feeling that our Rob will be revisited sometime in the future though.

Kathryn Ngaire wrote: "Yeah - I kinda got all excited during the part where Cassie rings him up in the middle of the night, and he somehow just knows it's her. But of course, it's not his time right now. I have a feeli..."

I think you're right. But damn, Rob is SO STUPID. But that's what makes the situation exciting. I love whatshisface, her fiance, in an abstract way but he's so boooooring. They can't get hitched, can they? SAM, that's it. I wonder if her next will be from his perspective? I'd like to crack open that noggin and see what's inside!

Ngaire I think I remember reading somewhere that the next book is going to be about Frank, Cassie's workaholic supervisor from Undercover. But a book about Sam would be excellent, wouldn't it? I think you're right - Sam is a bit boring. I think Cassie kind of needs boring, though. I mean, she's a bit unstable, I think. I do want to see Rob again, and for him to finally get some closure on the "incident" from when he was a kid. It seems only fair. As if life is fair. But literature can be, right?