Sarah Insomnia's Reviews > Ashes, Ashes

Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari

Feb 21, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

This book was great, a story that stayed true to itself through and through. The character development was natural and never seemed forced, the detailed descriptions of what the world had become really set the tone, and the plot itself was strong and intriguing enough to stay interesting.

I first became aware of this book via a list a friend sent to me of Scholastic's top 10 dystopian novels for teens. While I really enjoyed this story, I have to clarify that it is NOT DYSTOPIAN in genre. There seems to be a boom of dystopian and post-apocalyptic novels in young adult fiction these days, and while the two genres can often overlap given the circumstances of the story and plot, this particular novel was not dystopian in nature. It is purely, 100% post-apocalyptic. Sure, the antagonists had their own agenda and tried to get the protagonists to bend to their will, but it was through force, not by way of an organized society governed by rules that serve to undermine everyone but the higher-ups.

Wow, didn't mean for that to turn in to a rant... I love me a good dystopian novel, but don't get me wrong, I probably would have read this book regardless of it showing up on a list such as the one aforementioned. I will admit it started off a tad slow, and the real action didn't occur until about 70% of the way through the book. There were a lot of references to survival in the post-apocalyptic age, which lent to much of the character building, particularly in the protagonist's case. This is not a bad thing; I'm just not big into descriptions of survival in vast detail. But that is just an opinion.

Lastly... while the ending was appropriate, I do feel that it just kind of leaves you hanging, with the protagonists' escape from the "bad guys" being the only whisper of any resolution. Is this to become part of a series? That could either make or break the story, but I 'am' curious as to what will become of the rest of the survivors.

All in all, good read, I'd recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes, Ashes.