Miya Kressin's Reviews > The Darkening Dream

The Darkening Dream by Andy Gavin

Feb 21, 12

Read in February, 2012

3.5 stars. It was a really good book. The research was well done, and I found the writing enjoyable. There were some scene changes that needed to be smoothed out as well as some character POV switches that could have been made more clear, but these area were few and far between.

The building sensual tension between two of the characters was believable for their ages, though I felt it a little rushed for the era and social ramifications. Given their surroundings and connection, as well as how busy their guardians were with the book's events, however, I was able to overlook that.

My only disappointment in the novel is the ending. Not in what happened to the character(s)- because I thought it was a necessary, dark, and beautiful playing out of the building plot- but that it felt like we were missing a paragraph. A small piece of overheard dialogue, or the sight of someone familiar to the character, to establish some outside order to the final event would have wrapped things up nicely while still allowing room for a sequel and not taking away from the horrific and beautiful darkness into which the reader is plunged.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkening Dream.