Michael's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

May 26, 12

Read in May, 2012

I had high hopes for this book but I have to confess I really had to struggle to stay with it as long as I did. I finally gave up after going 2/3rds of the way.
As a fantasy story, it was slow and borrr-ing. I just couldn't get interested in any of the characters or the story.
The story takes place in the period of 1885-1900 involving a strange circus that wanders over Europe and appears mysteriously, performing only at night and closing at daybreak.
The story begins with a master magician, Prospero findng the daughter, Celia, he had with an estanged woman has now been turned over to him to care for. One day he is visited in his dressing room by an old rival who disapproves of his methods of illusion and proposes a competiton in the future between their chosen proteges. Prospero decides to train Celia and the other magician adopts a young boy, Marco as his protege. The two don't know who each other are , only that they will meet in ths future for a competition of magic skills. Now, we all know where this is heading but the book plows on with various characters with the circus and eventually Celia and Marco both find themselves working with the night circus and are drawn to eachother. Big surprise.
I understand that a major movie is in the works by the producers of the Harry Potter franchise so maybe this can be made into a visually more entrancing story than I found reading the book to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.