Ted's Reviews > The Scandals of Clochemerle

The Scandals of Clochemerle by Gabriel Chevallier

Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: lit-french, read-in-australia, religion-mythology-rationalism, multiple-reads, beach-fun-fiction
Recommended for: Fans of satire
Read in January, 2010 , read count: 2

Five stars for satire, four 1/2 for humor.

I first read this book about 40 years ago when I lived in Australia for three years. At the time the BBC had produced a series from the story, which I saw (at least in part) on TV there.

The book is a very biting satire on all aspects of French provincial life in the early decades of the 20th century. The Church (and its officials) are depicted particularly harshly. The first perhaps 2/3 of the book is uproariously funny. However, in the latter part of the book, Chevallier brings the Army into the story and the humor (but not the satire) abates somewhat.

This isn't the easiest book to get hold of at a decent price (at least in the U.S.), but a cheap used copy will be worth your investment if you enjoy satire.

I was surprised to find this evening that Chevallier wrote a book called Fear about a young man's experiences in WW I, a book rated very highly and close to a classic. That book must be so far from this one in its tone that their being by the same author seems almost impossible! C'est la vie!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scandals of Clochemerle.

06/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Dolors (new)

Dolors "The book is a very biting satire on all aspects of French provincial life in the early decades of the 20th century."

One can certainly learn a lot laughing about one's shortcomings in micro and macro scenarios! :)