Norelle Done's Reviews > Queen of Kings

Queen of Kings by Maria Dahvana Headley

Feb 21, 2012

Read in June, 2011

I read a lot of historical fiction, and I've always been fascinated by Ancient Rome and Egypt. Cleopatra's story has always interested me as well, and her death always seemed a little bit anti-climactic to me! Maria Dahvana Headley did an amazing re-telling and further-telling of what may have been the true story of Cleopatra's death.

In "Queen of Kings" readers are transported to the time of the fall of Alexandria to the hands of Octavian (to become Augustus Caesar). At the death of Marc Antony, Cleopatra makes an unwise deal with an evil ancient Egyptian goddess - Sekhmet - who consequently possesses the powerful queen. Cleopatra, still present within the bloodthirsty goddess who travels from Alexandria to Rome in an effort to take revenge on Octavian for Antony's death and the taking of her home city, struggles to stay in control of her body and actions to save her children, bring back her husband, and to keep Sekhmet from bringing Armageddon upon the world.

Headley garners 5 stars in my opinion: fantastic writing, exciting plot, deep characters, vivid descriptions of setting, and a thoroughly unique idea.

If you love dark, bloody thrillers that are full of forboding, mystery, evil, romance, and eternity - plus a few gods, goddesses, vampires, witches and spirits, then you're sure to love "Queen of Kings"!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of Kings.