June Louise's Reviews > Highland Master

Highland Master by Amanda Scott

Mar 08, 12

did not like it
bookshelves: scotland, pre-20th-century, historical-fiction, medieval, did-not-like, gave-up-halfway
Read on March 08, 2012

Sorry folks, but I got to page 215 and refused to read any further.

I really wanted to like this book. Rugged Scottish scenery, knights, clan rivalries, valour - the knight-in-shining-armour heroic stuff. That's what I had hoped this book would be full of. I don't think it helped that I read this straight after an Elizabeth Chadwick knights story which WAS full of all of the above (minus Scotland!). Instead it is full of plots I can't get my "head round", fluffy romance and hard-to-engage-with characters. I did try to persevere as long as I could with it, in the hope the story would improve, but alas, it seemed not to go anywhere. Plus, even though I live in Scotland and am Scottish by birth, I found it hard to deal with the "Sithee" type talk that kept appearing at the start of sentences.

It's a bit too "girly" for me, this book. I don't mean that in a derogatory way - it's just that chick-lit, medieval or not, is not my thing. If you DO like romances, then this would be an enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highland Master.

03/08/2012 page 1
0.0% "OK, straight from Chadwick's portrayal of English knight, William Marshal, to the ruggedness of Scotland and clan rivalries. Should be good...."
03/08/2012 page 144
36.0% "I'm not enjoying this book as much as I thought I would. Maybe if I stick at it, it will get better......."