Tyler Hurst's Reviews > How to Fail: The Self-Hurt Guide

How to Fail by Aaron Goldfarb

Feb 21, 12

Read in February, 2012

If you polled Midwesterners who'd never been to NYC and asked them what a 'failure' would act, look, and sound like, Stuart Fish would fit the bill. Fish, which I assume is at least loosely based on the author, isn't a loser, nor could he be described as dumb, lazy (maybe a little bit) or even unsuccessful. While he's certainly not a success based on society's big 3 (fame, money, love), his greatest lesson isn't that failing can be a learning tool, but rather that having the guts to fail at anything you try is powerful.

Similar to Julien Smith's Flinch, the idea that I read from this book was that we have softer landings than we're ready to admit. No job? You're unlikely to die. No place to live? Someone will take you in. No significant other? Plenty of people out there looking for the same thing. No money? If you're a cool guy that makes others laugh, you'll likely be given stuff.

I'm not advocating that unemployed, single, and living on a lesbian friend's couch while drinking most nights is the way to go through life for all of us, but who needs success when you're already so fucking happy?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Fail.