bookczuk's Reviews > Ruined By Reading: A Life in Books

Ruined By Reading by Lynne Sharon Schwartz

Feb 21, 12

Read on February 20, 2012

When I this at the Friends of the Library booksale, one of my favorite quotes (from Louisa May Alcott) came to mind, "She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain."

There were many times the narrative struck close to home -- I too am a book addict, and would be a member of readers anonymous, were there such a group. Some bookish habits and delights the author and I share, while we branch out a bit on others. My parents were also People of the Book, (though I did tire of that refrain a bit), and my children learned early on that though I might say no to an impluse buy of Power Rangers or My Little Pony, I would probably never refuse them a book.

Despite our shared love of books, what I liked best about this volume were the glimpses into the world of Brooklyn that my mother and grandmother inhabited. We have our own family stories about iceboxes and the stoops of brownstones. She also brought to mind my earliest memories, mostly centered around reading and books. Maybe someday, I'll write it all up so that others can stumble upon the stories at a booksale, and awaken a loving, lingering walk through memories of People of the Book.

I didn't know much about the author prior to finding the volume, and when I looked her up, found she was part of that generation a half step before me, and that our roots had some commonalities. Prior to this book, I had only stumbled upon a commentary and a children's book she had written. Her final book was published posthumously (http://www.lynnesharonschwartz.com/).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruined By Reading.