Sofia Grey's Reviews > Fallen from Grace

Fallen from Grace by Laura Leone

Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, top-picks-2012
Read in January, 2012

I loved this. Loved the opening premise, the characters and the whole setup. At barely 27% I emailed a friend to say, ‘you have to read this’ and I gobbled it up, unable to put it down apart from when I had to sleep.

Ryan is a handsome, cultured and polite young man living alone, apart from a number of rescued pets that he lavishes affection on. He doesn’t appear to have any female entanglements, and his new next door neighbour Sara even begins to wonder if he might be gay. She’s a writer who’s just been dumped by her publishing house and had to downsize. They become friends – close friends – and Sara draws the reluctant conclusion that Ryan is just not interested in her. After all, she’s nearly ten years older and can’t possibly be attractive to him.

Although Ryan claims to be a male model, the reality is harsh. He’s a high class prostitute and has been since his pimp (Catherine) rescued him from the streets some ten years ago. She groomed him, taught him everything he knows and even while he hates his lifestyle, he feels nothing but gratitude towards her.

As Ryan and Sara draw closer and the boundary between friends and almost-lovers becomes blurred, Ryan has to tell her the truth. He can’t bear the thought of sleeping with her, without her knowing. She is hurt and angered by his lies, but comes to terms with just staying friends, but it’s not enough for Ryan. For the first time in his adult life, he’s falling in love and desperately wants a different life – one with Sara.

This novel takes you through a cascade of emotions. Gritty and sordid in parts, Ryan’s working life is not glamorised, but serves as a counterpoint to his quieter – happier – times with Sara. My stomach churned for him several times, and I longed for them to find their happy ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen from Grace.