Neil Powell's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons: After the Feast

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Oct 23, 12

Read from April 26 to May 07, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Part 2 of book 5, and it maintains the strong return to form. Thoroughly enjoyed the way the story developed, but the apparent death of another Stark POV character near the end angered me greatly. I understand that Martin wants the readers to feel like no character is safe, and that anything can happen, but I think the lack of sympathy for some of the wonderful characters he has crafted is beginning to turn into a lack of sympathy for his readers. We still need someone to root for, and its becoming increasingly difficult to see where the hero will come from. Also, the death seems to remove the Nights Watch, The Wall and the battle with The Others from the plot. Unless of course it was a massive swerve/dummy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.

04/26/2012 page 15
05/04/2012 page 440
79.0% "Martins' lack of sympathy for his characters and more importantly his readership angers me greatly"
show 11 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

StoryTellerShannon SPOILER

So the talk on the forums is that this is a way to have Jon leave his body and take over his wolf and then at a later point take on a new body and become the new Azor whatever.

The prologue talks about Snow being one of the strongest shapechangers ever so you're probably covered. Also, another strong theory is that he's a Targ.

StoryTellerShannon P.S. Snow is one of my least favorite characters. He's too much like the stereotypical fantasy hero. :)

Neil Powell StoryTellerShannon wrote: "P.S. Snow is one of my least favorite characters. He's too much like the stereotypical fantasy hero. :)"

Yeah, I'd read the theories about the Warg/shapeshifting angle. Strong clues with the swapping out of Mance Rander with Rattleshirt by Melisandre are also a theory

I understand your reasons for your dislike of Snow, but for me the books need someone to really root for.

StoryTellerShannon Snow is the only person you root for then?

Neil Powell StoryTellerShannon wrote: "Snow is the only person you root for then?"

Well no. I could have put that better. Obviously Tyrion and Jaime have their plus points, they are both prime arseholes but seem to be slowly realising this and are attempting change. Littlefinger is brilliant, a classic antihero for me. Davos is as close to being a hero in the classic sense as well, but him being so closely associated with Stannis goads me

I just feel that the potential loss of Snow removes the last stereotypically heroic figure left in the books, and I felt it needs at least one in order to balance all the shits!

StoryTellerShannon Ah, I see. I asked b/c a couple of my friends only like Jon Snow b/c he fits the archetype.

I personally feel Dany is more heroic than Jon simply because she has done more for people than Snow but that is another discussion.

Neil Powell The problem with Dany is her storyline is unbelievably dull

StoryTellerShannon I disagree strongly with your word usage.

Karthik On Dany and Jon-- come on, they're so different. Jon is practically Ned Stark reincarnated, that's how honourable he is. Dany is nice, but she's willing enough to bend her honour, and would make an awesome queen. Dany's story is kind of dull, but you have to admire it just for her, and her struggles.
And Jon Snow is not a Stark. He is a Targaryen.

message 10: by Neil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neil Powell Karthik wrote: "On Dany and Jon-- come on, they're so different. Jon is practically Ned Stark reincarnated, that's how honourable he is. Dany is nice, but she's willing enough to bend her honour, and would make an..."

"alleged Targaryen" ;o)

The fact Jon is so honourable is the reason why he is one of my favourite characters. As I said above, you need someone to really root for in this story because everyone else is such a bastard (ironically!)

StoryTellerShannon Jon is too bland and predictable for my tastes when he isn't whining. The TV series has taken out some of the whining.