Cindy's Reviews > The Dead-Tossed Waves

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

May 27, 12

bookshelves: men-i-love, zombies, love-triangle
Read from May 12 to 16, 2012

"Gabrielle was the end of us. She breached the fences. Unconsecrated have overrun the village. Infection rages in the Cathedral and we have closed ourselves off in the catacombs. We are the end. We are all that is left. We will search the tunnels for other villages. Other havens. But we despair that this is truly the end.
God's will be done."
-pg. 338

"Maybe we'll always live in a world full of fences," she says, waving her hands at the chain links on either sides of the path. "But they're to keep the Unconsecrated out. Not to keep you in." -pg.359

WARNING: Contains profanity. May contain spoilers. Continue at your own risk.

Wow, I wish I would have written a review for this book before I read The Dark and Hollow Places because now I feel differently about the characters in this book. Oh well.
& let me just say, this book just might get first prize for Shock of the Year. I was most definitely NOT expecting that. This was what my face must have looked like after I knew who Elias is looking for:
Photobucket

The reoccurring theme in these books is selfishness (I THINK that's a word).

The story starts off with the main character, Gabry, her best friend Cira, Cira's older brother Catcher, and other "friends" deciding to cross the Barrier and go hang out by the ruins of the roller coaster. Everyone in Vista is forbidden to cross the Barrier. Apparently, the teenagers thought it was safe, because they claim they've been on the other side of the Barrier and haven't seen a single Mudo.

(Typical teenagers. I mean, come on, they ARE living in a freakin zombie apocalypse. They're bound to run into one eventually.)

Eventually they run into a breaker. Only Gabry escapes.
And so, the story begins...

Gabry will find out the truth about where she came from.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, and I almost forgot to mention. Harry reappears is in this book! OMG, you don't even know how fast my heart was beating when I first read his name. Wow, I really didn't think I liked him this much. I guess it's true what they say: Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Seriously, when I FIRST saw his name I was like:

Then I was like:
Photobucket
OH, SWEET, MERCIFUL JESUS! MY HARRY IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

He is by FAR my most favorite character in this trilogy. And i swear TO GOD if anything, and I mean ANYTHING, happens to my Harry, I'll go on a zombie killing rampage. Love you, Harry :)

Gabry: The daughter of Mary. Can you guess who she's named after? Yup, that's right. Gabrielle. She crosses the Barrier to find Catcher. She is pretty much scared of everything and blames herself for every bad thing that happens but she's not nearly as aggravating as Mary was (emphasis on WAS). At first she thinks she loves Catcher, but after he turns her down a few times she turns her attention to the mysterious Souler...

Catcher: When I read this book, I thought he was a whiny little douche. But after reading The Dark and Hollow Places, I know I love this crazy man.

If my heart didn't fully belong to Gale Hawthorne, then it would belong to Jack. Then my Harry. But should anything ever happen to any of them...I'm not ashamed to say that it would belong to Catcher.

Good ol' Catcher. Sure, he has his ups and downs (mostly downs), but he is a very caring and loving individual. It sucks (view spoiler) but we have to deal with the cards we've been dealt. The only thing that annoyed me about him is that he felt so sorry for himself. He was all “woe is me” while I looked at it as a second chance.

Elias:
[image error]

Oh, God. Why, oh, why did I read The Dark and Hollow Places before writing this review?! WHYYYYY?! I swear I liked him. At first. And then I read the third book and I ended up hating his guts. But I'll try to recall good thoughts about him, since i did end up almost falling in love with him in this book.
Okay. One thing about Elias is that he seems caring... at first. Until you read the third book >:|
He is also helpful. He's easy to like, I'm not gonna lie. But I can't believe what he did.
That BASTARD! I swear, when I was done reading The Dead-Tossed Waves, I thought he was so charming, and sweet, and handsome, and just an all-around good guy. But my eyes are wide open now, Elias. WIDE OPEN.
The nerve of this guy!

Daniel: You got what you deserved, fucker.

Mary: I'm glad this story is not told in Mary's perspective. She annoyed me so much in the Forest of Hands and Teeth but in this story she redeems herself. She FULLY redeems herself, in my eyes. I could literally feel the pain she feels when she remembers leaving the others in the Forest. I kind of feel bad for not liking her in the first book. She definitely grows up.

Harry: "I have always loved Mary," he says. "Even when she was someone else's. When she couldn't love me I loved her." -pg. 342

"I think she was afraid to love sometimes. I think it scared her. She was the type to love things that were concrete, like the ocean. Something you could point to and know what it was. I think that'swhy she always struggled with God. And I think that's why she also struggled with love. She couldn't touch it. She couldn't hold on to it and made sure it never changed. ... Sometimes it's the things you can't touch that you need to hold on to the most." -pg.342

By now I'm sure everyone knows I love him. When he speaks I'm positive I look like this:
PhotobucketBe real, damn you!

Jacob: Sad to say it folks, but he's long gone by the time the story starts. But he plays a huge part in it. Read the book to understand what I mean.

Cass: Ooookay, this is some bullshit. She got off easy. She got EVERYTHING she wanted. UGHHHHH.

(view spoiler)

WHAT.THE.FUCK. uh, NO! she should have been ripped apart by zombies. That would have been her fate if I had been writing this story.

Whoa, hold on a minute. Now that I think about it there WAS one thing she wanted but never had. (view spoiler) I still hate her.

Let me just remind people that she made my list of characters I will forever hate.

Overall I really liked The Dead-Tossed Waves. I liked it way more than I liked The Forest of Hands and Teeth. (view spoiler)

And also because it surprised the hell out of me. Once again, I was not expecting that AT ALL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead-Tossed Waves.

05/12/2012 page 160