Devon's Reviews > The Problem with Work: Feminism, Marxism, Antiwork Politics, and Postwork Imaginaries

The Problem with Work by Kathi Weeks

U 50x66
Feb 21, 2012

Read from February 21 to May 05, 2012

Weeks traces the development of the work ethic and the problems it presents us within our current society. She then uses the autonomist marxist tradition of the 70s, and specifically the feminist project of the Wages for Housework movement as a starting point to launch her own demands of less hours with no reduction in pay and a guaranteed basic income to everyone, regardless of employment or family status. She moves along this trajectory with detailed theoretical discussion of various currents of marxism and feminism. Ending with a somewhat dense philosophical look at the ideas of utopianism and the political power of utopian demands.

A really great book, powerfully arguing against the fetishization and exaltation of "hard work", while pointing to a future where we all have more time for ourselves, our communities, our passions, and our lives outside of capital.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Problem with Work.