Laurie Carlson's Reviews > Crazy in Paradise

Crazy in Paradise by Deborah  Brown

This was a really neat book in that it was full of conversation. Almost the entire book was conversation, unless it needed some description or other things to be explained, for the most part it was pure conversation. This is the first time I have come across writing like this. It was rather interesting, very well done, and I enjoyed it immensely.
Madison Elizabeth Westin, a newly divorced and a cynical character because of it, yet perhaps not so cynical as she was "realistic" in her approach to life now, was packed and ready to go visit her favorite aunt and second mother to her, Elizabeth.
Elizabeth lived in Tarpon Cove, Florida, in the Keys, running a bunch of cottages/motel, and living in the main house on the property. Madison is ready to leave when she finds out Aunt Elizabeth has passed away. She was so shocked.
Somehow her Aunt's attorney had been left directions to coordinate the funeral, without any say-so of the family whatsoever, and the entire funeral turns out to be a fiasco which infuriates Madison.
I have to say the author has written this event to be absolutely hilarious in places you would least expect it. First, at the funeral home, where the Funeral Director has her Aunt sitting straight up in her casket and people feel like she is staring at them and is a little offended. The attorney schedule a couple of local drunks who knew her to get up to speak about her. One has to be carried away, the other escorted out.
Only in the keys would people be attending a funeral be sitting around in bathing suit cover-ups, tropical shirts, cut-off blue jeans shorts and more. Madison was the only person dressed in black. She was very angry about this entire funeral that her Aunt's attorney set up. This did not make sense to her as to why the family would not be allowed to take part in the planning of this funeral.
For anyone who has ever traveled to the Florida Keys, or spent any time there at all, this can be very typical of the way many people dress and act, which is what was so hilarious about this for me. It was so laid back and true-to-life I was in hysterics! I remember some of the characters I met on the beach, and couldn't help but to relate them to some of these characters in this book! ONLY in the Keys! Now I was left wondering WHAT could happen next?
First she finds a little romance! Okay, one HOT guy!
Madison later finds out she has inherited this property her aunt owned. Now she has to fight with this attorney, and the Hotel Management guy, who does nothing but give her grief. If anyone needs to be cynical and realistic now, it's Madison. All of these new problems now, which just does not make sense to her, nor the Reader, ALL being caused between these two men. The attorney blames is on Probate Court, the Maintenance Man states her Aunt appointed him to do this and that. None of this makes sense to Madison.
With this comes a lot of problems, problems you would never think of! From her meddling mother setting her up on dates she never would have gone on on her own, to the very colorful tenants and the visitors of Tarpon Cove, to a dead body.
Out of the blue, Madison gets herself involved in a Murder/Mystery which puts her and other people's lives in danger.
Only in Tarpon Cove!
I happened to greatly enjoy this story. I thought it was a lot of fun to read, and the interjected humor was a riot. I really liked the main character, Madison's, approach to life. Cynical at times, yet not so cynical but more of being realistic towards life. She had some tough things thrown at her with very little knowledge or understanding as to what was going on. She was like a fish out of water at times.
This was a great story to lose yourself in. I enjoyed every part of it!
Now, throw all your cares away and read this book!
I HIGHLY suggest this book for a beach read, or a great Winter Vacation in Tarpon Cove right now! Escape the cold 'now' and go on vacation down to the warmth of the Florida Keys! Take this trip! Turn up the heat in your house, throw on your bathing suit, grab your flip-flops and your cover-up, and put on some tropical music! Don't forget the beach towel and the sunscreen! You'll have transported yourself directly to the Florida Keys, in the thick of it! Say "Hi!" to Madison for me!

I received this book for “FREE” from "Crazy Book Tours" through Deborah Brown-Create/Space Publishing, in exchange to read the book and write a review about it. It is NOT required for this review to be either positive or negative, but “of my own opinion.” I was provided with “NO MONIES” to read and write a review for this OR ANY book, except for my pure enjoyment of reading it. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255, http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/wa...
Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy in Paradise.