Reynje's Reviews > Lies Beneath

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: e-book-kindle, i-regret-nothing, read-2012, scoundrels-rakes-and-creeps, young-adult, under-the-sea
Read from February 20 to 22, 2012

There comes a day in a reviewer’s life when s/he must write a review to the tune of an ELO song. My friends, that day has come.

(Or more accurately, for some reason, this song kept popping into my head every time I read this book. I can’t explain it).

Thus, I give you: “Evil Woman Merman” as a placeholder until closer to the book’s release and a "proper" review. Here, you can sing along with my..er.. slightly altered lyrics cough.

"You made a pawn of me, but this plotting revenge has got to end.

Hey Calder, you got the blues, cos' you ain't got no need to own shoes.
There's an open ocean that leads nowhere, but it’s time to put miles
between here and there.
There's a hole in your head where your sisters’ voices come in,
They took your past and played to win,
Ha Ha merman it's a crying shame,
But now you gotta kill the person you blame

CHORUS
E-evil Merman, E-evil Merman, E-evil Merman, Evil Merman

Rolled in to your old lake,
Turned on the charm, went creepin’ around,
But a fool and his ego soon go separate ways,
And you found a poet girl lyin' in a daze,
Ha Ha Merman what you gonna do,
You want to destroy the plans your sisters gave you,
It's so strange that you're feeling pain,
But your siren sisters want you back on board their crazy train.

E-evil Merman, E-evil Merman, E-evil Merman, Evil Merman

Evil merman you’ve done her wrong,
And now you're tryin' to wail a different song,
Ha Ha funny how you say you’re in love, she read you a poem and you can’t give her up,
She came runnin' every time you spied,
Thought she saw love smilin' in your eyes,
Ha Ha very nice to know, but now it’s time for you to swim off and go..

E-evil Merman, E-evil Merman, E-evil Merman, Evil Merman"

Also: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies Beneath.

02/21/2012 page 9
3.0% "Every time I pick up my kindle I find myself saying: "Merman, dad! Merman!" in my best Derek Zoolander voice." 11 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sonia I finished it yesterday. How do you find it? :-)

Reynje Hmm.. I'm still trying to make up my mind :)

Sonia Me too. But I do enjoy it. :-D

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo Aaaaaaand the winner for the best review on Goodreads goes to.... YOU.

(view spoiler)

Also, tune. ELO DANCE PARTY.

Reynje I did not at all enjoy carrying out research on google images for Darren Criss-esque mermen. Not. At. All.

Ahem.

And sadly, no, my graphic making skills are extremely subpar. I did try to give that pic black hair, but I just made him look like Sideshow Bob so I gave up.

Yes, ELO dance party!! Pyjamas and all :)

message 6: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo And people say reviewing books is easy...

I say torture.

Reynje *sighs*

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Imagine if I wrote this review without doing research! Lazy. That's what that would be.

message 8: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo (view spoiler)

message 9: by Reynje (last edited Feb 24, 2012 03:02AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

message 10: by Jo (last edited Feb 24, 2012 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

message 12: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

message 14: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo (view spoiler)

Reynje Excellent. I'm making t-shirts.

message 16: by Maree (last edited Feb 24, 2012 04:26AM) (new)

Maree Can I be a weirdo and butt in to say I wanna join that club?? I always thought it was just me that did that to boys in books...o.O

message 17: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr I wish that Rey and Jo were my personal pets friends so I could watch them banter all day.

My eyes are like @_@ *forces Jo at gunpoint to post more*

Okay, off to have nightmares about Darren Criss singing and doing a dance routine to ELO

message 18: by Jo (last edited Feb 24, 2012 05:31AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo @Maree- Of course you can! Even if the boy's long, luscious locks were vital to the plot... he's still have 'em chopped from the barber shop in my miiiind.

@Shirley - NIGHTMARES?!?! That would be a dream come true. ;)

message 19: by Maree (last edited Feb 24, 2012 06:05AM) (new)

Maree I also shave any unsightly facial hair (seriously the only time during The Beatles career I don't find Paul sexy is when they went through what I like to call their 'Jesus Beard' phase) stubble is an exception.

Also speaking of hairstyles I tried to do the whole Anne Hathaway in 'One Day' bob look and have kinda managed to pull it off (on those rare days when it's not humid in QLD) When I straighten it I can kinda pull off a Jackie Kennedy-esq look.

Skyla Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books Darren as a mermaid? I must read this book right now!

Reynje @Skyla - Darren Criss with a silver tail!

@Maree - I'm heading to QLD tomorrow - the humidity makes my hair enormous. It shall be fun! Also - Jackie Kennedy-esque sounds gorgeous :)

@Everyone who has any remote interest in my hair (I'm looking at you Jo!) (view spoiler) I was just flipping channels and I have found my real, actual, hair doppelganger:
ROSS NOBLE!

message 22: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo REY.
You have to warn me when you say things like that. Hahahahaha.
LOVE IT.

Have you ever seen the bit where he talks about committing to the FRINGE?! How he hates it when people have wispy non-existent ones and how he loves it when they go all out. And then he just yells FRIIIINGE at the screen for a bit. Hahaha, that was me for a long time.

ps. Don't you think it's odd how our countries have just swapped Ross Noble for Tim Minchin? LOL. Like a comedian exchange.

message 23: by Maree (last edited Feb 25, 2012 04:14AM) (new)

Maree Rey, thank you. I love the whole vintage 1960's look :) Also, where are you going to go? It's pissing down raining throughout the southeast at the moment so it is very humid :(

message 24: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi I won't be able to read this book without hearing that song now.