Beth's Reviews > Walden

Walden by Henry David Thoreau

Jul 23, 2008

liked it

Oh my gosh, I don't need to mention the good things I've learned reading Thoreau, but I MUST say that every passionate Thoreau fan I ever met in college was a COMPLETE DOUCHEBAG in a very eco-friendly, pseudo-hipster, sweetly male-centric way. Ugh one time when I was a sophomore I had to choose a topic for a group presentation in Eng 253 and I was like ooh, transcendentalist literature! And suddenly I found myself stuck in a group with two fucking PERFECT Thoreau-head douchebags, all scruffy with their cute little caps and worn-in skinny jeans and gentle voices, and they were all about to not let me do ANYTHING in the project and they were always exchanging these little smirks with each other when I'd volunteer for something, because I mean LOOK at me there is just nooo way I could possibly have EVER read Thoreau and like, UNDERSTOOOOOD IT right? And ever since then I'm like HELLLLL naa to that shit and I can spot the Thoreauvian Douchebags in an English class in under 2 seconds seriously.
69 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walden.

02/07 marked as: read

Mister Jones Brilliant! I like reviews like this; has personality.

message 2: by Bob (new)

Bob That was perfect and so very true what you said.

Alex Ha ha I love Thoreau but I dont even know what transcendentalist means so i am pretty sure I am not a Thoreau head. Great review, all the best reveiws make me laugh.
Cheers

message 4: by Anya (new) - added it

Anya I now know exactly what this book is going to be like. How did you do that?

message 5: by Remington (new)

Remington Krueger So what you are saying is you haven't read the book, and dislike people who have?

Gotcha. This kind of review is probably better suited for reddit not goodreads.

Beth Remington wrote: "So what you are saying is you haven't read the book, and dislike people who have?

Gotcha. This kind of review is probably better suited for reddit not goodreads."

I have read the book more than once and have plenty of respect for Thoreau's work, but thank you for your thoughtful feedback.

message 7: by Negri (new)

Negri Do you actually talk the way you write? No wonder they were whispering behind your back.

Diana I love your review! And I love Thoreau. And I suspect Remington may be...ahem....a Thoreauvian douchebag? What a condescending comment to leave. Actually, I take that back. He's probably just a regular douchebag.

message 9: by hiroyuki (new)

hiroyuki I wish I could like this twice.

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Sounds like your issues are with hipster posers more than with Thoreau and his writings. I'm pretty sure the actual Thoreau would not be the slightest bit impressed with such affected types. He would surely share your scorn.