JenBen's Reviews > The Cry of the Icemark

The Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill

Feb 21, 12

I read this book a long time ago, but I felt the need to review it because I adored this book so much as a child that the book has actually fallen in half from all the love I gave it.

Thirrin is a fierce-tempered warrior princess from the small northern country of the Icemark. When her father the King goes to rage war against an invasion force coming from the powerful southern country, the fourteen-year-old must lead her people through this awful period. She soon befriends a young warlock by the name of Oskan, who may have more power than he or Thirrin know. The two must together recruit allies from the even further north, giant snow leopards. They must also make peace with their neighbors, the vampire king and queen and their subjects, with whom they had just finished a long and bloody war. This series is a trilogy.

I really enjoyed the characters of this story. Thirrin's wild-cat personality was nicely balanced by Oskan's calm and almost nervous demeanor. Both Oskan and Thirrin were very complex and well-rounded characters with both likes and dislikes, strengths and faults.

I would recommend this book to kids around the ages of eight-ish to twelve or thirteen. Again, I read this many years ago so the details are a bit rusty.

In summary, I really enjoyed this book. It is a wonderful coming-of-age story and makes you question the world around you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cry of the Icemark.