Dan's Reviews > King of the Murgos

King of the Murgos by David Eddings

Feb 22, 12

Read from February 20 to 22, 2012

As Garion said himself in the book, Mr. Eddings is just re-hashing the Belgariad. Something precious and important has been stolen from Riva and a motley party of extraordinary nobles are running all over creation chasing after it. They meet all the same people (or doppelgangers of them) and do pretty much all the same stuff. What annoys me most is that Mr. Eddings has fundamentally altered some of his characters' personae. I understand that some have grown up and gone through life-changing events, but others haven't. For example, Belgarath knew who all the necessary party members were to be in the Belgariad and had been following their families for centuries. But this time, Belgarath is vehemently fighting against having the necessary party members join them when he was already explicitly told who was supposed to be in their party. Another thing that bothers me is that Mr. Eddings completely ignores many of the tools the party members have at their disposal and makes them do things the hard way or end up at the mercy of people vastly inferior to them. Despite all the problems and inconsistencies, I still enjoy the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of the Murgos.