Kimberly's Reviews > Girl Unmoored

Girl Unmoored by Jennifer Gooch Hummer

Feb 20, 12

bookshelves: 52-books-in-52-weeks-2012
Read in February, 2012

Author Interview and review!

Review:
Things are not going well for Apron. Her mother has passed away and she is left with her good intentioned but absentee father. Her soon to be step mother is pregnant and her best friend has started hanging out with someone new.
But then she meets him- her new friend Mike who owns the local florist shop. And as this new world unfolds, Apron awakens.

This is Hummer's debut novel and it is all sweet, sad and funny in equal measure. Apron is a thoughtful girl. She sees past what people want her to see to who they truly are. The world and time Apron is growing up in is different to today, and while she deals with all the usual growing pains, she's also faced with the fear and uncertainty that is the mid-1980s.
I love Apron's warmth, openness and guts. She is young, but mature beyond her years.

Mike and Mike's boyfriend Chad are a fun, loving pair. The dialogue between them flows easily over the page. Apron seems to genuinely belong with this group, easy and honest conversation and a warmth that she doesn't have at home.

In contrast, her stepmom M is hard to stomach. Everyone can relate to knowing the darker side of a person when their loved ones or friends can't see it, and this bad relationship hits all the cringe worthy marks. I liked Apron's dad through the whole book because even though he is clueless, absent and a little neglectful, I don't think he is trying to be.

I really enjoyed Girl Unmoored. It's a heart warming debut novel. Pick it up and share Apron's adventures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Unmoored.