Becky's Reviews > Into the Free

Into the Free by Julie Cantrell

Feb 21, 12

Read from February 20 to 21, 2012

Another one of my cheap-o acquisitions from Amazon.com! This book started out a little slow, but was well-written, so I kept reading, and I'm glad I did. The story centers around poor Millie, with a rodeo-cowboy father who beats her morphine-addicted mother, who ends up taking care of everyone by herself. In the beginning of the book, she loses the only friend and father figure she has, and I'll warn you - her prospects don't go up from there. Millie goes through a slew of personal hardships - I won't spoil anything - and just when you think she might be starting to rise above it, a horrible thing happens again. In fact, when "The Horrible Thing" happens, I literally got mad at the book. Not because I felt it was too much, but because it was so unfair, yet entirely plausible. Millie has two love interests, who she has to chose between at the end of the book, and one of the most captivating parts of the book is when she is talking with a housekeeper, and the housekeeper is talking about her husband. She said he wasn't the best looking, and he didn't make her breathless, but he loved her no matter what, and she told Millie that's the kind of man you should look for. A man who will make you breathless is wonderful, for a time - but a man who will love you for you, and insists you're perfect - that's the man to stick with. Highly recommend this book, and for anyone who likes Christian authors, this author seems to be one - kind of slipped it in towards the end, surprised even me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Free.