Leah Lucci's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Book One

The Walking Dead, Book One by Robert Kirkman

Feb 20, 2012

Read in February, 2012

Was at a friend's and read this yesterday. Unlike HBO's Game of Thrones TV series (which sticks almost word-for-word to most of the book), AMC tweaked The Walking Dead. The plot is very similar, but happens in a different order/time frame, contains new scenes, omits others, and has different characters. (Shane, for example -- and this is a spoiler, but not a huge one -- dies pretty early on in the books, but has yet, at the time of this writing, to die in the series). If one is really into the TV show, the books contribute a lot to the experience instead of being redundant.

Pros:
The series is less about zombies and more about the human condition under duress. About the flexibility of morality. Despite the science fiction/horror themes, this book is about the human condition -- here and now. I love stuff that makes me think.

Cons:
All that depth being said, there are various minor plot holes that bugged me.
Also, there are some characterizations that I didn't like. The women in the comics are more whiny and codependent than the ones in the book. You think Lori sucks in the show? Well, she's worse in the books. (There are several panels in which she's whining that they're out of canned pears, and canned peaches SIMPLY WILL NOT DO.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Book One.

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Keep in mind that (spoiler coming) Lori is pretty much pregnant from the start of the book. That may be why Kirkman wrote her as a whiner.