Melindeeloo's Reviews > The Force of Wind

The Force of Wind by Elizabeth   Hunter

Feb 20, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, arc, vampires
Read from February 20 to 21, 2012

There are triumphs and tears both in this excellent third installment of Elizabeth's Hunter's Elemental Mysteries. The hunt for Beatrice's father and the coveted 'book' leads library researcher B further into Gio's vampire world - this time to the island of the Eight Great Immortals in the China homeland of ancient wind vampire Tensin – and to some of the answers that they seek.

Over the course of the series we've witnessed the slowly growing relationship between B and Gio. So after all that they've gone through it is nice that, even though they don't exactly see eye to eye on the role that B wants to take in Gio's world, B's and Gio's relationship is finally solid. And for those who have been waiting, there is a fair amount of very subtly done steamy stuff - though Hunter definitely subscribes to 'less is more' in that department which worked just fine for me.

As much as I love B and Gio together, I also really like B's other relationships and this time we get more of her friendship with Tensin and as a result get to learn quite a bit more of Tensin's background. Also a lot of fun was B's sparring with Baoji - one of B's “grandfather's” “children” and a character that I hope to see more of - and there are a some amusing verbal ripostes to go with the literal ones during weapons training as B continues build her battle skills with an eye to the future. And another standout was one exceedingly cagey vamp whose brilliant maneuver was one of the high points of the book. If I had one nit with B this time around, it would be that for such a smart character B places herself in danger several times, both wittingly and unwittingly, and it never ends well.

I normally don't accept ARCs directly from an author, but The Force of the Wind was on my must buy list for March, so I just couldn't resist getting an early peek. And wow, there is so much that I liked about this book and, drat, so little that I can share without being spoilerish. So even though I tried to keep to vague hints so as not to ruin the emotional journey, I can say that everything that has been building in the first two books comes together here and if you're like me you'll cheer, rage and grieve as the story unfolds and be counting the days until B and Gio's story and the mystery of the book wrap up in The Fall of Water which is slated for release in June of 2012.

If you are new to Hunter's Hidden Mysteries you are really going to want to start at the beginning and read A Hidden Fire and This Same Earth before reading The Force of the Wind, because there isn't a lot of backtracking to bring new readers up to speed and there is a fair amount of character development and world building that was done in the previous books. Also, if you are like me, you are going to want to read the two stories back to back - after finishing the first book I had to immediately buy the second book to see how thing played out between B and Gio - there is no HEA after the first book and B and Gio's relationship is still evolving even in this third book.

ARC provided by the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Force of Wind.

02/20/2012
74.0% "I normally don't accept ARCs directly from an author, but I enjoyed the first two book (and was going to buy this the moment it came out anyway) so I just couldn't resist. And wow, everything that has been building in the first two books is coming together here. If this finishes as well as it's been going, I am going to have to figure out to write a review that is worthy of the book."
02/20/2012
74.0% "I normally don't accept ARCs directly from an author, but I enjoyed the first two book (and was going to buy this the moment it came out anyway) so I just couldn't resist. And wow, everything that has been building in the first two books is coming together here. If this finishes as well as it's been going, I am going to have to figure out how to write a review that is worthy of the book"
02/20/2012
99.0% ""... Ive been alive over five thousand years. If there's one thing predictable about the male of the species, it's their sex drive and their fascination with fire."
Beatrice snorted. "That's it, huh?"
"Most advance in technology occur because they're either trying to impress women or blow things up. It's as predictable as the sunrise.""

Douglas Meeks "Most advance in technology occur because they're either trying to impress women or blow things up"
I loved that line I think because it had a LOT of truth in it :)

Michelle Cummings Jealous!

Douglas Meeks Michelle wrote: "Jealous!"

I feel your pain :)

Melindeeloo Michelle wrote: "Jealous!"
Sorry :( but not too long to wait, it might even turn up a few days early.

Melindeeloo Dougmeeks wrote: I feel your pain :)" is that empathy or gloating - 'cause I know you've read this already.

Melindeeloo Melindeeloo wrote: "Dougmeeks wrote: I feel your pain :)" is that empathy or gloating - 'cause I know you've read this already. *jokingly*"

Douglas Meeks Melindeeloo wrote: "Melindeeloo wrote: "Dougmeeks wrote: I feel your pain :)" is that empathy or gloating - 'cause I know you've read this already. *jokingly*""

I was going for empathy, but I was not sure if I could fake it that much :) LOL

message 8: by Melindeeloo (last edited Feb 22, 2012 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melindeeloo Dougmeeks wrote: I was going for empathy, but I was not sure if I could fake it that much :) LOL "

Genea Did the same thing, bought the next book right after to continue B and Gio's adventures. Also really wanted to see them finally together. About to start the third.