Lillie's Reviews > A Girl Named Digit

A Girl Named Digit by Annabel Monaghan

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: arc-galley, for-review, arc-tour, review-copy, ya
Read from February 20 to 23, 2012

See the full review at: Read My Mind

My Review:
From the very beginning, DIGIT appealed to me. I liked the idea of a smart teen with an extreme affinity for numbers, patterns, codes and things like that. When I read beyond the first few pages and found that Monaghan had also written in normal parents (not absentee or with extreme issues of their own), I really started to like DIGIT. This is a novel that balances out some of the other YA books I've read where smart girls are "geeks" or play the sidekick. It balances out the YA books with rubbish parents and very serious issues. While issues-driven books have their place, DIGIT was a refreshing change.

This book was a fun and funny short read. I did think the plot was slightly predicable, but not so much that I didn't want to finish or care about the journey to the end. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the novel, but the mystery and suspense was not a tightrope walk, by any means. I figured out where the story was going to end up. I did have a bit of a "meh" attitude about the romance. Funny how I don't mind sexuality in YA, but sexuality between a minor and a 21+ just doesn't sit right with me.

Monaghan created a character in Digit that steals the show with her slightly snarky, slightly sarcastic, slightly vulnerable, but always intelligent voice. The chapter headings were laugh-inducing, but despite the humor that permeated DIGIT, it was not without it poignant moments that served to show both Digit's maturity and fear because of her skill and the situation she found herself in.

Mathletes can save the world from a terrorist plot, just as well as a trained federal agent, and Digit proves she has the tenacity and temerity to do it with a snappy attitude and a Fibonacci code. DIGIT is a solid contemporary YA, and despite my one issue with the romance, I do feel that it could still be appropriate for younger readers, as well as teen readers, and readers looking for a lighter vacation or beach read type of novel.

3.5/5 for plot
4/5 for characters
3.5/5 for language

My Rating: 11/15 (3 stars) Recommend
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Named Digit.