Cherr's Reviews > Life of Pi

Jan 01, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, adventure, classics
Read from February 20, 2012 to January 02, 2013

Rating: 4.5

What made me read this: Adventure.
What made me keep on reading: The story within the story.
What I really liked about it: The transformation.
What made me fall in love with this book: The take on religion.

It took me 10 months to finish this book. 1 week to finish the first half, 9 months and 2 weeks to stop thinking about it, and another week to finish it.

Took me that long, why? The story builds up slowly. And probably 90% of the book tells the story of Pi while in the open sea. (Why 4.5?) While I'm a big fan of adventure, I find it tedious to be reading about someone's daily routine for survival. Especially if it's hundreds of pages long.

Ninety percent through, I started wondering when and how it would end. My sister mentioned something about a Japanese. I started making up endings in my head. The best I came up with is this. A stranded japanese survivor would show up in the carnivorous island and would offer shelter and food to Pi. Despite the conflict in language, they will live harmoniously with Richard Parker, the house pet. I guess that ending explains why I'm just one of the readers while Martel is a known author.

Pi's encounters were written with care and in minute detail and narrated thoroughly. I advice you to read it with care, in minute detail. The author's way of particularizing is also his way of telling you to PAY ATTENTION. READ AND UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING I SAY. IF YOU DON'T, I AM NOT TO BLAME FOR ANY FEELING OF REVULSION, SHOCK OR SURPRISE. Which is pointless because even if you do pay attention, it's not like you can avoid shock.

I won't give anything away. You'd think there's nothing else to give away anyway. An Indian boy gets stranded in a lifeboat with a 250 pound Bengal tiger. If you think that's all there is to it, that's where you're wrong. I just can't, for the life of me, put into words how amazing this book is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

Quotes Cherr Liked

Yann Martel
“The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity; it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can.”

Yann Martel
“Catholics have a reputation for severity, for judgment that comes down heavily.”

Yann Martel
“But once a dead God, always a dead God, even resurrected. The Son must have the taste of death forever in his mouth. The Trinity must be tainted by it; there must be a certain stench at the right hand of God the Father. The horror must be real. Why would God wish that upon Himself? Why not leave death to mortals? Why make dirty what is beautiful, spoil what is perfect? -- Love. That was his answer.”

Yann Martel
“Christianity is a religion in a rush. Look at the world created in seven days. Even on a symbolic level, that's creation in a frenzy.”

Yann Martel
“Christianity is a religion in a rush.”

Yann Martel
“Christianity is a religion in a rush. Look at the world created in seven days. Even on a symbolic level, that's creation in a frenzy. To one born in a religion where the battle for a single soul can be a relay race run over many centuries, with innumerable generations passing along the baton, the quick resolution of Christianity has a dizzying effect. If Hinduism flows placidly like the Ganges, then Christianity bustles like Toronto at rush hour. It is religion as swift as a swallow, as urgent as an ambulance. It turns on a dime, expresses itself in the instant. In a moment you are lost or saved. Christianity stretches back through the ages, but in essence it exists only at one time: right now.”

Yann Martel
“We are all born like Catholics, aren't we—in limbo, without religion, until some figure introduces us to God?”

02/20/2012 page 20