Hope Sherman's Reviews > Wayward Saints

Wayward Saints by Suzzy Roche

Feb 20, 12

liked it
Read in February, 2012

I read this book because my brother is a HUGE fan of the Roches. He really wanted me to read it and I was happy to oblige.

It was an interesting take on the burned out, bummed out, dropped out rock star story. I especially enjoyed the small town scenes, as I grew up in one and could relate to the realism and the inherent quirkiness that you find in any small town. The friends from San Francisco, especially Mary's best friend Thaddeus is another great addition to the character circus of this book.

What I did not like so much was the actual song titles, and lyrics of the former band ( a little too raunchy for me) ....and also the Nashville promoter character and his school teacher friend. But I think perhaps we're not supposed to like them, so if that was the author's goal - it works!

The Catholic part of the story from the mystical visitor in the woods to the priest's initial reaction and then his final comments was all pretty good. I was raised Catholic (in that small town near the woods!) so I enjoyed the author's take on the lessons "of our youth"....and how they colored Mary Saint's view and visions for the rest of her life.

A good read with a satisfying conclusion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wayward Saints.