Kelli Spear's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Feb 20, 2012

Read from March 01 to 04, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Generally speaking, when a book is the second in a trilogy or series, it tends to be weaker than the first. It's usually in the awkward part of the aftermath of whatever the first was setting up. It is also tasked with setting up for what comes next. So even though I was ecstatic to have a chance to read this, I was also leery of it being inferior to "Divergent". I am happy to report that I didn't feel this way at all.

Thankfully it picks up right where "Divergent" left off. There is no one month to year gap in which we have to play catch up on anything we missed during that time. I tend to get annoyed with plots/authors that carry on in that fashion. It wasted so much time recapping when the story could just have been told to begin with. We follow Tris, Four (as I refuse to call him Tobias), Caleb, and Marcus as they journey to the other factions (Amity and Candor) to make them aware of the teaming up of Dauntless and Erudite factions and make known the war started against Abnegation. Sadly, both refuse to get involved and only offer to take in those displaced from the war that's begun. All we really know at this point is that Jeanine Matthews (Erudite leader and resident genius) wants to collect all Divergent people for study purposes. We are unsure why they have become so important. All we know is that it is to *supposedly* protect the city from the outside. From here the plot can at times become confusing. Four's mother comes back into the picture as the leader of the factionless who are planning to stop the Erudite/Dauntless combination from warring on everyone else. There are some subplots going on as well that can make things confusing at times.

I'm not going to lie here. I loved Tris as a protagonist, but in this book, there were times she annoyed the crap out of me. She became reckless and was almost selfless to the point I wanted to slap her. Not to mention that her guilt over killing Will was drawn out up until the very end of "Insurgent". After awhile, it got really old. She was refusing to defend herself and was about to die because she thought it was for the best. UGH. Then there was Four... I cannot seem to make myself call him Tobias no matter how hard I try. I am not sure if that is because he was introduced to us as Four and that was the character I fell in love with or what. But he is always called Tobias here and it seems wrong. Perhaps he needs a new name altogether as he is a different person in this book. He is still the caring, lovable, sweet guy we know; but also has some harder edges. He becomes selfish in his love for Tris and tries to protect her, which she doesn't allow. The majority of the book, I felt his heartbreak over her carelessness and disregard for his feelings. Had there been another love interest for her in the series, I'm sure this would have been the point she'd have struggled with a love triangle. The two were either arguing or avoiding each other for most of the book. That in itself made me sad. The leaders of the other factions were all weak and pretty much unlikable here. Marcus had a large part and was obnoxious in his own right. His refusal to give up information drove me nuts. I wouldn't have been able to coddle him in order to get information. I'd most likely have used force to get what I wanted. I always had thought Tris's brother, Caleb, was odd. And he turned out to be a traitor as well. My heart did break for her here. The only family she had left betrayed her. All to protect something that was ready to be revealed to all.

Now, for the plot critique. "Divergent" hinted at being protected from the outside. There is more hinting of this until the end, when finally all is revealed. This was a lot of what kept me reading. I wanted to know WHAT it was. I wasn't entirely surprised, although we are still not aware of exactly how much is out there. Am I a tad disappointed? Yes. But now we at least know that much. It's almost like that movie "The Village". Separated by the rest of the world by a fence. Now though, the Divergent are supposed to be released in order to fix things. Hmm. And how? I'm curious to see where the story goes from here. All the simulations and murder were to keep everyone inside? That's it? It can't be... there MUST be more. The cliffhanger left us with a video of Tris's family member announcing all of this and reporting that she was to forget things and take on a new identity. So was it her mother? Grandmother? We're left hanging until the next book.

Overall, I really, really liked "Insurgent". It was a great follow-up to "Divergent" and really keeps the pace of the series going. It's not slow like many middle books tend to be. There is always action or some conflict going on; whether physical or emotional. Some characters take on different personas temporarily and it manages to work. The book definitely has its moments of suspense that keep you reading. You can't help but be curious to find out what is going on. I am so excited for the next book in the series!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

03/01/2012 page 12
03/02/2012 page 141
26.86% "I keep stopping to prolong my reading. I'm at a really good part. LOL"
03/03/2012 page 311
59.24% "Okay, Tris is officially pissing me off!"
show 5 hidden updates…

Valerie So jealous you've read it and so thankful for you review :) hehe, one question though (hope you can answer it), do Tris and Four/Tobias kind of break up then? There's no happy moments between them at all?

Kelli Spear Haha! They don't "break up"... it does seem like they are going to at times. Things just get awkward because they keep secrets from each other, and one breaks promises to the other. I don't wanna say anymore since it may spoil things for ya! :)

Valerie alright, I'll have to wait :( haha, thanks for replying :)

Kelli Spear You're welcome! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 5: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S I thought this book wasn't out yet?? How did you read it?? Please reply to this!(: Thank you!

Kelli Spear I have an ARC!

Zerina I just finished the book and I loved it. I also like you was frustrated with Tris because she became almost suicidal in the book. She kept being reckless and Four kept rescuing her.
I was more sympthatetic towards Four because of his screwed up relationship with his mom and dad.

Kelli Spear Zerina wrote: "I just finished the book and I loved it. I also like you was frustrated with Tris because she became almost suicidal in the book. She kept being reckless and Four kept rescuing her.
I was more sym..."

Yep! I definitely agree with you!

Carla Christ! I'm so relieved that there isn't a love triangle. I'm so sick of it. I'm happy that the issues the couples always have in those series aren't envolved someone else. She was creative. Love it. Yeah in these second books we always get the hard time beteween the couple before things gets better.