Mike Kalmbach's Reviews > The Story Within: New Insights and Inspiration for Writers

The Story Within by Laura Oliver

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, writing
Recommended to Mike by: Gene Flaten
Recommended for: Beginning or intermediate writers
Read from January 11 to February 21, 2012, read count: 1

Overall, this is a great book. Lots of good advice for beginning to intermediate writers. It's organized in short, easy-to-consume sections that lend themselves well to reading in fast bursts, and her advice runs the gamut, from getting started to distributing your work. For the most part, the advice is solid and her analogies really help her examples hit home.

The one complaint I have came toward the end of the book, where the author seemed to recommend sending editors a "rejection" of a rejection letter. I believe this was intended as sarcasm, but the author didn't close the loop to say "Never ever EVER send a nastygram to an editor. You never know if you're going to need to send them something in the future." It's a small detail, but it's also a mistake I see writers make all too often.

Other than that, I loved the writing style of this author and would likely read another book by her. It's well worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story Within.

02/20/2012 page 195
79.0% "Pretty good book so far. Definitely going to end up recommending that people read it. Each chapter is short and consumable, with good general advice."