Roger's Reviews > Here Is a Human Being: At the Dawn of Personal Genomics

Here Is a Human Being by Misha Angrist

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, science
Read from February 26 to March 04, 2012

I was fascinated by the genome for years, but didn't have a lot of background. This book gives me some answers, but even more questions about how personalized medicine will be handled in the future.

Angrist gives us a first-person account of his PGP-10 experience. (PGP-10 is the first 10 individuals to publish their complete genomes.) The account was easy to read as it flows like a stream of conscientiousness tale. It is personal and you actually get an idea of the personalities of people he follows in the book.

As an IRB member, a scientist, and a computer geek, I have been very wary of the way that NIH has handled the problems with identity in the genome world. DNA is the ultimate identity and yet collection of samples seems to go on and is even encouraged by NIH grants. Even with GINA, I have reservations about it. GINA can be changed or annulled by future policy makers. Everything can change quickly.

I very much enjoyed reading it and look forward to finding more genome literature in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here Is a Human Being.

03/02/2012 page 78