Ania's Reviews > Everfound

Everfound by Neal Shusterman

Feb 27, 12

Recommended for: OBE and NDE enthusiasts, and all imaginative souls :)
Read from February 20 to 25, 2012, read count: once

At times when I was reading this book, Octomom and Mary had a lot in common in my mind. I mean, just listen to this quote:
description
Tendrils of silver light now touched the afterglows of her skinjackers,bonding with them, gripping them, making their energy just an extension of her own....

Anywho, this book is very good :) Not as original as the first one in the series, and I do admit that the train ride with Milos and the kids was a bit long. Also, the book quite clearly has a feel of a 2-in-1 story, where the first one ends with Part 3, and the second book begins with Part 4: Mary Rising.

What I had trouble with is the murders.

Personally I found it troubling reading about murder after murder, at times even mass murder, in a such a casual fashion. I do understand, that the author wrote about the existence of life after death, which in this story makes murder or death sort of a transition to another form of existence. BUT believing strongly, as I do, that ALL LIFE IS SACRED, I still found all this death and killing deeply unsettling.

It seems that the author was aware of my feelings, since at some point he addresses it with the following quote:
"How easy is murder when one calls it by a different name? How much easier is it for the conscience to condone "reaping" than "killing" - and when one knows that death isn't the end, does it stop the killing hand for fear of retribution, or does it simply make it easier to kill, because, if like continues, how can murder be murder at all?"

Although he doesn't answer my unsettling feelings about this, he does make a point to make you think about it. After all, no matter how wrong murder really is... how many of us, when equipped with a working time machine, would not wanna go find Hitler, and be the guy holding the gun???

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everfound.

02/20/2012 page 1
0.0% "Cannot wait to get it started!!!"
02/21/2012 page 139
27.0% "so far so good. The train ride is a bit long..."
02/24/2012 page 276
54.0% "Feels like one book just ended and book #4 is just beginning."