Lori Weir's Reviews > Privilege, Power, and Difference

Privilege, Power, and Difference by Allan G. Johnson

Mar 27, 12

Read from February 20 to March 27, 2012

Johnson clearly and thoughtfully explains privilege and power. He describes how many of us are benefiting from privilege, but don't realize it. He points out how we can change the systems that have created the differences. I found it easy to read, but as the title states, this book serves as a useful introduction to issues regarding privilege and oppression within society and specifically the United States.

Being an advocate for social justice and being well aware of the issues he has discussed before reading this, I can say two things: he doesn't present any information that is particularly new or horribly insightful. That is, of course, if you already have a rudimentary exposure to what he talks about. Because this book is clearly used as an introduction, I cannot hold that against him. However, it also leaves you with little in the way of suggestions for action and change.

As an introduction, this book serves its purpose well. So, it gets four stars for serving its purpose well, and being honest and readable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Privilege, Power, and Difference.