Melliane's Reviews > Summoning the Night

Feb 20, 2012

Read from February 20 to 24, 2012

Mon avis en français

My English review

I was so impatient to get in another new Arcadia Bell adventure, and I’m really not disappointed about it. The first novel was for me a real surprise, and I was therefore very curious to know how our heroine managed after all these events. Because she has been through a lot.

A new threat looms and some children, descendant from the members of the Hellfire Club are taken away. Arcadia with the help of Lon has to discover what is really happening about these disappearances. But of course nothing is simple and the clues will bring them into some dangerous paths mixing magic and demons.

The investigation was really interesting and once more I wouldn't have thought about this culprit. Well, I have to say, I didn’t even suppose it would be possible it could be him but it’s true it’s a great idea. We follow the investigation of our little couple, trying to understand what is going on, establishing many hypothesizes, and of course they were all wrong. But it’s always a pleasure when everything is a surprise and when we try to discover all the meanings.

Arcadia has evolved since the first volume, she and Lon became a real couple and it was nice to see them together like that. She will have to deal here with her new powers and it’s true we’re very curious to learn more about them now. They give her some big new possibilities and gifts but we don’t really know the consequences of her actions.

Regarding Lon, he is always here to help and protect our heroine, something that is quite complicated sometimes. Yes, because it’s really easy for Arcadia to attract dangerous situations.

And what can I say about Jupe? I really love this character, he is always so amazing! He hasn’t changed since the first novel despite he is sure he has his knack and that he can order persons to do what he wants. It’s quite worrying but also very useful is some conditions.

We will also discover a new protagonist: Hajo. His power is really fascinating and his character is complex. We wonder if we will see him in the next volumes because he is very intriguing and I hope we could learn more about him. Despite I don’t think it would be a good thing for Cady.

Summoning the Night is a really great second book; the writing style is fluid and it was a very nice read. If you enjoyed the first one, I’m sure you’ll love this one as well.

This novel opens many new paths for the third volume and I can’t wait to know what will happen. A lot of events are initiated, not necessarily good, and I’m curious to see how Arcadia will manage all of this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summoning the Night.

02/20/2012 page 9