Sumirti Singaravel's Reviews > The God of Small Things

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

5206467
The first time I read it, I was only 15. 15 is the age when one fall in love with a boy for his face which has not got its moustache and a voice which tinkles. 15 is the age when one grow haughty for being named the meritorious student in a class based on a four digit number awarded in the name of marks. It is the age where one dreams of Lochinvar and heroes. It is the age where one graced with hopes untouched by reality and with an innocence that stands pristine and untainted by the general tyrannies of life. It was then I read this book, and how stupid I was to give it a meagre three stars. Now, reading it again, it looks magnificent and lovely. I will come up with a full review later. As of now, I want to linger in the astonishment about how much I have changed through these years.

This is a work of beauty, subtlety and nuances. It will remain so forever.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God of Small Things.

Quotes Sumirti Liked

Arundhati Roy
“That's what careless words do. They make people love you a little less.”

Arundhati Roy
“Things can change in a day.”

Arundhati Roy
“And the air was full of Thoughts and Things to Say. But at times like these, only the Small Things are ever said. Big Things lurk unsaid inside.”

Arundhati Roy
“It is after all so easy to shatter a story. To break a chain of thought. To ruin a fragment of a dream being carried around carefully like a piece of porcelain. To let it be, to travel with it, as Velutha did, is much the harder thing to do.”

Arundhati Roy
“Some things come with their own punishments.”
Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things

message 1: by Gautam (new)

Gautam Beautiful review, Sumirti!

Venkat Narayanan As I always say Nice.

About the Boy's face thing Really?

Sumirti Singaravel Gautam wrote: "Beautiful review, Sumirti!"

Thanks for your appreciation, Goutham. This book deserves a full review. Will make one soon. :)

Sumirti Singaravel Venkat wrote: "As I always say Nice.

Should I thank u for the Nice? :)

About the boy's face, yes, Really :)

Parthiban Sekar Your review reminds me to read this master piece which I once read under some compulsion, but turned out only to be a fruitful melancholy. 15, I think, is too early for a book like this... IMO. I still don't believe that the narration ended as it is widely claimed ... Nevertheless this is amazing...

Venkat Narayanan Sumirti wrote: "Venkat wrote: "As I always say Nice.

Should I thank u for the Nice? :)

About the boy's face, yes, Really :)"

Park the thanks aside. I'm intrigued by this boy thing really. :P

message 7: by Sumirti (last edited Nov 10, 2015 04:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sumirti Singaravel Parthiban wrote: "Your review reminds me to read this master piece which I once read under some compulsion, but turned out only to be a fruitful melancholy. 15, I think, is too early for a book like this... IMO. I s..."

Yes, 15 is too early for this book. But, I was a haughty girl then, so cocksure about my own smartness that I even read Aristotle's 'Ethics' then :p I had no empathy or compassion then for I was a loner with my won dreams. But, this work is a masterpiece. I terribly wish Ms.Roy return back to fictions. She belongs here. And, yes, you should revisit it. It's a work to be cherished for all the times to come.

Sumirti Singaravel Venkat wrote: "Sumirti wrote: "Venkat wrote: "As I always say Nice.

Should I thank u for the Nice? :)

About the boy's face, yes, Really :)"

Park the thanks aside. I'm intri..."

Ha ha :D we shall talk about this. :)

Parthiban Sekar Sumirti wrote: "Parthiban wrote: "Your review reminds me to read this master piece which I once read under some compulsion, but turned out only to be a fruitful melancholy. 15, I think, is too early for a book lik..."

True that. She should have continued in fictions. Nevertheless, she is our Harper Lee! ARISTOTLE'S ethics... Thumbs up. I tried Poetics but thought I need to read more before reading that. Happy reading!

Sumirti Singaravel Parthiban wrote: "Sumirti wrote: "Parthiban wrote: "Your review reminds me to read this master piece which I once read under some compulsion, but turned out only to be a fruitful melancholy. 15, I think, is too earl..."

U can read 'Ethics'. It is so much accessible and readable than 'Poetics'. Happy reading for u too :)

Parthiban Sekar Sumirti wrote: "Parthiban wrote: "Sumirti wrote: "Parthiban wrote: "Your review reminds me to read this master piece which I once read under some compulsion, but turned out only to be a fruitful melancholy. 15, I ..."

I shall try, Sumirti! Currently reading Epictetus's discourses. Thanks!