Guilty Pleasures's Reviews > The Cowboy Takes a Bride

bookshelves: publishersent, didi-reviews, guiltypleasures-rhys
Read in April, 2012

This Two-Fer Review posted on Guilty Pleasures

Rhys's Thoughts:
For Mariah Callahan, finding out that tragedy has struck her life and sent her spirally back to her childhood isn't something that she relishes. But it couldn't have come at a better time. With her life in Chicago in shambles, a chance to get away and hide from the world sounds like the best thing she has heard in quite awhile. With a mix up on directions, and a meeting with a half naked drunken cowboy be the thing that makes her change how she sees the world or will another tragedy and some missteps make her want her old life back more than ever?

Joe Daniels is going to get good and drunk...again. If the alcohol can numb the pain of loss before than he is damned if he isn't going to make it happen again. Not only has he lost his wife but now he has lost his best friend. With nothing and no one left to keep him going, getting drunk in a horse trough sounds like a pretty good idea. But coming face to face with a look a like of his deceased wife is just enough to make Joe wake up and pay attention. If only he can get her to stick around long enough, he may just have found the right person to make him whole again. With tragedy and heartbreak at every turn can these two see that with the other than can make anything bearable or will each problem just tear them further apart?

This was a great story, and yet another example of what a great author that Lori Wilde is. I have read several of her books in the past and have loved each and every one of her characters. Not only are they life like and complicated, each of them is broken in some way that only the counterpart character can mend. If you are looking for a great story that is full of funny moments and yet will bring tears to your eyes, than this is the story for you. Lori Wilde has done it again and made me a forever reader of her works!!

Rhys gives The Cowboy Takes A Bride Four Stars and a Recommended Read.

DiDi's Thoughts:
The Cowboy Takes A Bride enchanted me from the moment I saw the cover until I read the last word of Mariah and Joe's emotional, funny and sweet story.

Jobless, homeless and broke, Mariah returns to Jubilee after the death of her absentee father, Dutch, who left her his ranch. Upon her return, the first thing she comes across is a drunk, naked cowboy sitting in a horse trough, who happens to be her neighbor and late father's best friend, Joe Delaney. Due to her father's desertion, Mariah already has a dislike for cowboys so she immediately judges Joe as a drunk, no good cowboy. Joe looks up to find a mirage of his late wife, when he realizes it is his best friend's long lost daughter, his anger about the way she treated Dutch colors his judgement of her. The two have made up their minds, Mariah is selling the ranch ASAP and heading out and Joe is buying it to get her out of Jubliee. Only problem is Joe's money is tied up for two months, so he gets Mariah to agree to stay for two months, then he will pay her cash for the land.

Fate intervenes and throws Joe and Mariah together, they both fight their attraction to each other as hard as they can, both have so many issues, you begin to wonder how it could possibly work out. On top of their own emotional issues, Joe is a cowboy, which is the exact opposite of what Mariah wants in a man and Mariah has a city girl sass, something that intrigues and irritates Joe at the same time. During the two months Joe and Mariah go on a journey of healing, retrospect and discovery. Joe has to get over the loss of his wife, Mariah has to come to grips with who her father was, why he left her, guilty because she did not reach out to him and who she really is.

The story is well paced, Joe and Mariah have a strong chemistry but they do not jump right into bed together, they take their time, get to know each other, which is one of the things I really enjoyed in this book, we got to "see" them falling in love, we witness intimate conversations between them, not only in bed, but also when they are trying to get to know each other. The ending is perfect, emotional and sweet, followed by an equally sweet and sexy epilogue.

The Cowboy Takes A Bride is a story about two wounded souls who have to learn to deal with the past in order to move into the future. It is full of tears, chemistry and laughter. The secondary cast and the town of Jubilee make me want to rent a U-Haul and head up I-45 North to find my own Jubilee.

One of my favorite lines:
"His grin could drop a buckle bunny at fifty paces."

DiDi gives The Cowboy Takes A Bride Four Stars and a Recommended Read
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cowboy Takes a Bride.