Siobian's Reviews > Under the Same Sky

1362023
Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: review-copy
Read in March, 2012

It is the 1700's and Maggie Johnson has grown up in the colony of South Carolina. Maggie has always had dreams that told her of the future. Her mother says that she has "The Sight" just as her grandmother did before she was burned as a witch. These dreams give Maggie glimpses of what is to come, but not always. Some of her dreams include a boy that is around her age and in these dreams they grow close to each other without speaking a word or sharing a touch. Maggie doesn't know his name, but she knows that one day they will find each other. On the other side of the ocean in Scotland, Andrew MacDonnell shares the same gift, the same dreams, and the same hope of finding the girl who has become a part of him. As Maggie and Andrew's lives are torn apart by greed, pride, and war, each step they take brings them closer together.

When I first saw the cover of the book, I wasn't quite sure about it. Under the Same Sky looked like a romance novel, and while I have nothing against them, they just aren't what I typically read. However, I put my worries aside and read the first chapter. And then the second. And before I knew it, half the day and half the book had passed without my moving. I was completely sucked in and literally could not force myself to put the book down. I loved Maggie's character. She was so likable and strong, but had her character flaws that made her believable. Andrew was just as fantastic and I truly enjoyed seeing where their paths would take them and what it would take for them to be together. Aside from the wonderful characters, the writing was really well done and I find it very hard to believe that this is a debut novel. The plot moves along quickly and is steeped in historical detail. Not only does it share tidbits about living in the colonies and life in Scotland after Culloden, readers also get a glimpse of life in a Cherokee settlement, which was one of my favorite parts of the book. My only complaint is that it ended too quickly because I didn't want it to end. However, I was really excited to see a chapter from Graham's next novel at the end of the book and cannot wait until it comes out. Overall, it was a fantastic debut novel that had me completely captivated.

*Please note, I received a copy of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Same Sky.