Christina (Reading Thru The Night)'s Reviews > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. Valente

1020619
Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: 2012, ah-may-zing, fairy-tale-ish, audio, serious-about-series, middle-grades, children-lit
Read from February 20 to March 08, 2012

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

This book was - dare I say it - a breath of fresh air. No, seriously. I know that I'm a long lost soul who just now stumbled upon this book seeing as it made waves in the 2011 world. And yeah the tI'm not quite sure what initially caused me to shrug it off, it just didn't seem like My Thing.[1]

I grabbed this from the audio section of the library and immediately the storytelling was captivating. (The author recorded the audio). So truly, what makes this fairy tale exceptional? Um, outside the most obvs which is its originality? I can gobble up some retellings, but it seems incredibly difficult to find original contemporary fairy tales such as this one.

And September, the little girl who gets transported into fairy land is truly genuine. She's sometimes bratty, often indecisive, but always trusts her instincts and leads with a good heart. And the magical characters? Squeezably charming.

This is definitely going to be a reread because the prose was that gorgeous. One of the faults with audios for me is the inability to highlight powerful and beautiful passages. Also, the book has illustrations. What the what?!

___________

[1] I'm not really sure what about it made it not my thing? Did it look too childish? I'm not a big fan of dragons, maybe that was my thing? WHO KNOWS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.

Quotes Christina (Reading Thru The Night) Liked

Catherynne M. Valente
“We all live inside the terrible engine of authority, and it grinds and shrieks and burns so that no one will say: lines on maps are silly.”
Catherynne M. Valente, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

Catherynne M. Valente
“One ought not to judge her: all children are Heartless. They have not grown a heart yet, which is why they can climb high trees and say shocking things and leap so very high grown-up hearts flutter in terror. Hearts weigh quite a lot. That is why it takes so long to grow one. But, as in their reading and arithmetic and drawing, different children proceed at different speeds. (It is well known that reading quickens the growth of a heart like nothing else.) Some small ones are terrible and fey, Utterly Heartless. Some are dear and sweet and Hardly Heartless At All. September stood very generally in the middle on the day the Green Wind took her, Somewhat Heartless, and Somewhat Grown.”

Catherynne M. Valente
“Readers will always insist on adventures, and though you can have grief without adventures, you cannot have adventures without grief.”

Catherynne M. Valente
“Stories have a way of changing faces. They are unruly things, undisciplined, given to delinquency and the throwing of erasers. This is why we must close them up into thick, solid books, so they cannot get out and cause trouble.”

Catherynne M. Valente
“That’s what happens to friends, eventually. They leave you. It’s practically what they’re for.”

02/20/2012 page 40
02/29/2012 page 123
50.0% "I love this book. I want to hold it and squeeze it and never let it go. Too bad I'm LISTENING to it. (At least it's a good audio)"
03/07/2012 page 201
81.0% "If given to the right director and writers this would be a fantastic film. STILL wanna hung this book until all of its magic seeps into my being."