Fiona's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Some things stick with you throughout your life. One of those things for me is the first time I read this book.

My dad read it first, being made interested in the whole craze at the time. I don't really know what possessed him - it wasn't as if he ever read children's books, but he was always interested in what was going on in the world.

I always loved reading, but have never been one to be aware of ongoing trends so didn't even know about Harry Potter. Besides, I was not too into fantasy at the time.

I remember my dad giving me this book and telling me I'd like it. I remember being confused why he read it.

What is it about Harry Potter that makes it so special?

I did not love it because everyone else was reading it, because everyone else was raving about it, or because it was cool.

I remember feeling this feeling inside that I can't explain and that I haven't really felt again. It feels special. A very happy feeling, like I had found something really special. And that was just after book one.

That so many other people felt the same, is spooky and amazing.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Quotes Fiona Liked

J.K. Rowling
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

J.K. Rowling
“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

07/03/2010 page 49
22.0% "haven't re-read this or any of the hp books since deathly hallows came out... it's like going home." 2 comments
07/03/2010 page 98
44.0% "I remember when I first read this as if it was yesterday." 2 comments
07/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
07/22/2013 page 12
3.0% "Been wanting to for a while and in this intolerable heat I just want to enjoy something. Ugh I hate this weather. Bring on the Ice Age!" 2 comments
08/01/2013 marked as: read
12/13/2014 marked as: currently-reading
12/17/2014 page 91
40.0% "Finally getting the old HP feeling back. Thought I was losing it. :("
12/20/2014 marked as: read