Amy's Reviews > Jude the Obscure

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Sep 09, 08

bookshelves: fiction

This was difficult to rate. I wholeheartedly agree with another reader who wrote: "Some days it was a five star read and others a two, with me wanting to throw it at a wall." The characters were so human, so painful in their weaknesses. It was heartbreaking to witness the obscure (yes!) demise of humans with so much initial promise. I'm half-cursing Hardy. But he does make his statement (shockingly for the time period) about marriage, social norms, feminism. Sue drove me crazy throughout, but I did feel for poor Jude.

Still...I thought it was a great read, but would be hesitant to recommend it to those who can't handle Hardy's bleakness. Quite depressing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jude the Obscure.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandi (new)

Mandi Waller Okay, I saw this movie at the international theatre at BYU and cried my eyes out! (sobbing) I don't think I could handle reading the book . . . so I'll be interested to know how it goes.

message 2: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa It's been so many years since I read Hardy. Maybe I should add a read to my list? And since I'm the strange girl that finds bleakness attractive I'm thinking maybe I should :).