Frank's Reviews > The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid

7620837
Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: biography-memoir, non-fiction
Read in June, 2007

Enjoyable trip down memory lane! I was born in 1950 and Bryson in 1951 so I really could relate to a lot of what was in the book including the TV shows (Sky King, Robin Hood, Zorro, etc.), the toys (Lincoln Logs, model airplanes, erector sets, etc.), the small town atmosphere without chain stores and fast food places. However, some of what Bryson presented including McCarthy and the commie witch hunts were the farthest things from my mind when I was a kid and I really didn't learn about them until later in life. I guess Bryson was just putting the time period in perspective by including politics and world events. Overall though, a very funny and enjoyable read. This book also reminded me a lot of Jean Shepherd's hilarious nostalgic books about growing up in the 40's including In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash and Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories. In God We Trust is the basis for the movie A Christmas Story. If you haven't read any Shepherd, I would highly recommend anything he wrote.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.