Erin's Reviews > The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband

The Journal of Best Practices by David    Finch

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from February 26 to 27, 2012

I received this as a Goodreads First Reads.

I loved every single page of this book. David Finch gives an insightful first hand account of what it's like to live with Asperger Syndrome. It is heart-warming and heart-wrenching all in a little over 200 pages. I loved David's writing and his wry observational humor. Plus, he seems to love the 'f' word just as much as I do!

David was well into his adulthood, a husband and father of two when he was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, a high functioning form of autism. This discovery doesn't just give him answers about his entire life but an answer to why his marriage is crumbling. Throughout the book David recounts his and his wifes struggles to get their friendship and marriage back on track. Not only that but David has to learn to manage his behaviors and moods and to be the man he wanted to be all along.

'Best Practices' is a great look inside the head of an "Aspie". It shows the struggles those with Aspergers deal with on a day to day basis, over things that seem so minute to the neurotypical. I found the book to be much more than that, too. It was a humorous look into a marriage and the struggles that one goes through to maintain the strength, love and friendship of it. It really stuck a chord with me.

I very highly recommend this book. Not only to those who have or know someone who has Aspergers but also to anyone who is in a committed relationship. If you have ever had the thought, "Who the hell did I marry!?", the definitely check this book out!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journal of Best Practices.

02/26/2012 page 71
32.0% "Engaging the social world without empathy is like going to the mall without any money or pants on; it can be done, but you're bound to have problems."
show 1 hidden update…