Jenn's Reviews > Dragon Bound

F 50x66
Feb 20, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read in January, 2012

I’ve been reading a lot about Thea Harrison on the blogosphere lately and reviews have been nearly uniformly full of praise. My local public library didn’t have a copy but I managed to snag borrow a copy while I was at my parents’ place for the holidays. All I have to say now is: I can’t believe it took me this long!

When I first picked up Dragon Bound, I was worried that the book would remind me too much of Deborah Cooke’s Dragonfire series, which is all about dragons, also known as the Pyr. I enjoy that series so comparison wouldn’t have been a bad thing but they certainly would have been distracting. Thankfully, Thea Harrison has created a world that feels fresh and layered and filled with characters I can’t get enough of!

In the world of the Elder Races, there are all sorts of preternatural beings: goblins, the fae, witches, and the Wyr, who are shapeshifters. Dragos is one of the oldest and most powerful Wyr in the world and he rules over one of seven demesnes, based out of New York. Pia, in contrast, is a 25-year-old half-breed who can’t access many of her Wyr gifts. Despite the difference in age and ability, Pia is Dragos’ equal, standing up to him and speaking her mind in ways no one else has dared. And with her looks and ramblings and mysterious background, Dragos finds himself intrigued in a way he hasn’t been in eons. Plus the chemistry between them pretty much set the book on fire. Pia and Dragos have an electric connection and it makes all of their scenes together sexy and smart and so much fun to read.

Of all the characters in Dragon Bound, Pia is definitely my favourite. She is awesomely quippy, resourceful, and lonely, a combination that makes her a compelling heroine and an intriguing counterpart for Dragos. The back and forth between Pia and Dragos -- and Pia and pretty much every other character -- is fantastic and I had to stop from laughing out loud a couple times since I was on the subway and everyone looks at you funny when you do that in public. I also found myself more and more charmed by Dragos as he puzzled his way through her feelings for Pia.

Dragos surrounds himself with some very powerful and intriguing friends, who are the subjects of future novels. (Woo!) In fact, my favourites, Tricks, Dragos’ P.R. faerie, who befriends Pia, and Rune, Dragos’ right hand man, are the focus of the second and third books in the series, respectively. In fact, all of the characters in the book were well written, even if they only appeared for a few scenes, like Stanford, who I found absolutely adorable.

Dragon Bound is one of the best paranormal romance novels I’ve read recently and I can’t wait to see what else Thea Harrison has in store for us. I hope my local library gets Storm’s Heart, the next book, soon. These characters and this world are just too good!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Bound.