Corinne's Reviews > Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

Feb 20, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, 2012, fantasy, magic, urban-fantasy, paranormal-romance, music, celtic
Read in February, 2012

Deidre is wicked talented - she sings and plays the harp like an angel. But on the day of just another competition, she meets Luke, who is as talented as she is and takes a wonderfully uncanny interest in what Deidre is capable of doing. Happy enough to not ask too many questions, Deidre soon realizes that Luke is much more that he seems and that the shadowy figures that dart in and out of her consciousness are part of the same mystery. In a world where Faeries are NOT your friend and special powers make you a threat of the worst kind, Deidre has to skirt a fine line between what she really wants and what is good for her.

As my first Celtic-urban-fantasy novel, Lament was great fun. The Faeire world was actually a bit more complicated than I would've liked, even at the end I felt a little bit like, "huh?" and not all plots were actually tied up as well as I would've liked. But it's kudos to the author that I still had a great time reading it. I loved how much music was a part of the story and while following the age-old formula of regular-girl-loved-by-amazing-guy, the romance was still enjoyable to read. I'd try another book by this author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lament.

02/07/2016 marked as: read