Jessica's Reviews > Bitter Is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office

Bitter Is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

Jul 23, 2008

bookshelves: books-i-own

I've read the other reviews of this book and was horrified what people had to say about Jen. This book is real life. It shows that despite all the ups and downs in life, it's possible to still have a sense of humor. Jen went from (as people say) a "bitchy stuck up rich snob" to an unemployed, insuranceless penny pincher and still managed to see the humor in her life. I think just about every woman can relate to her in one way or another at some point in their life. Whether it's about gaining weight and the endless struggle to lose it, losing a job you love, struggling to make ends meet, losing friends, bad neighbors, nagging parents/siblings, etc. So it probably won't be the next assigned reading in any college, but it's a great read that keeps you laughing out loud and I loved every minute of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Is the New Black.

04/12/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Elyse Heckenkamp I absolutely LOVE this book. I can't believe the majority of people gave it 1 star. They must not have a sense of humor.

Julia Love her writing! I just didn't like this book as much as Prettyin Plaid, the first Jen book I read. Buy I LOVE the scene where she's stalking the newspaper stealer, I was laughing so hard!

Barbara I gave it five stars - similar happened to me, so I get it and her! Difference with me is, she says what I think - LOL!

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 1 star

Kat I personally haven't finished the book and it's mostly because I can't seem to get through it. I love books about women who are strong, sarcastic, hilarious, and smart. Jen is sarcastic, some times hilarious, but she's not that smart. I wanted to hit her every time she went out and bought a new purse after she lost her job. Why would you buy new, expensive things when you know you can't afford it?

I did, however, enjoy some aspects of it. The whole time she was trying to figure out who stole her newspaper had me cracking up.

Jillian McKee Loera I've loved Jen from day one, and her books continue to make me laugh out loud. Screw the naysayers - I'm sure her real fans could care less. More for us! :-)

Leah Cassari I loved this book & agree with your feelings on many of the comments posted. I found this book to be LOL funny! She manages to make you laugh at things most authors would make you feel sad about.

I have tried however, to read her other books,; Pretty in Plaid, Bright Lights. Big Ass; but I couldn't get into them. They didn't have the same dark humor as Bitter. I think she 'sold out' with those.

As for the other comments on here, I have a few friends that said the same negative things about the book. I (personally) feel that most, or should I say some, woman are jealous of her. They don't want to hear a woman complain, albeit in a tongue-and-cheek way, about standing in line at the unemployment office holding a Prada bag. Especially if they have never even owned Prada. Some people just don't get it I guess.