Andrew's Reviews > What Are People For?

What Are People For? by Wendell Berry

Oct 29, 08

Read in August, 2008

What's not to love about Wendell? The man can write an essay. These topics may not be for everyone, and certainly Berry is writing from a place that no doubt seems alien to most postmodern people (i.e., agrarian, traditional, Luddite), but it is precisely because of that that he is so interesting and important. In an essay such as "Feminism, the Body, and the Machine" he quite simply hacks up our bourgeois sensibilities and outlines an even more radical alignment of our relationships between the sexes, our own bodies, the economy, and technological progress. Anyone interested in literature should read "Writer and Region" for an example of what thinking deeply about books can be. As concerns with materiality, place, and environment rise in importance among literary scholars, Berry words here will no doubt become more important and, one hopes, more listened to. This volume is a bit scattered, though, and lacks the sort of sheer power and brilliance of Sex, Economy, Freedom, and Community, therefore I knocked off one star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Are People For?.