Bonnie's Reviews > Timeless

Timeless by Gail Carriger

Jul 29, 14

bookshelves: steampunk, urban-fantasy, arcs, adult
Read from April 06 to 08, 2012

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
Much thanks to Orbit for providing me a copy of this for review.

Timeless, the fifth and last installment in the Parasol Protectorate. And the final adieu to Alexia, Conall, Ivy, and all the other colorful characters we’ve grown to know and love. This was actually my favorite installment out of the entire series surprisingly enough. Usually I don’t care for when a series that I’m quite fond of ends; however, it was done so well and was so much fun that I was sold. If you haven’t picked up this series yet and are looking for something incredibly original this is it.

Timeless opens several years after Heartless with Alexia and Conall’s daughter Prudence having been adopted by Lord Akeldama in order to guarantee the safety of the entire family. Prudence had me laughing out loud on several occasions as she was such a handful but such a wonderful addition to the story. The entire family travels to Egypt when the God breaker Plague becomes an issue once again as it has started expanding at an alarming rate.

With Alexia and the family in Egypt, Lyall and Biffy are left behind in London so there are POV shifts between the two locations. I can understand the need for this in retrospect but at the time I couldn’t help feeling it took something away from the story, especially with the focus on the budding relationship between Lyall and Biffy. All in all though? Extremely well done and truly enjoyable. Hands down my favorite steampunk book/series I’ve ever read.

Luckily, we may not have heard the last of The Parasol Protectorate as there is a planned series called The Parasol Protectorate Abroad with the first story entitled ‘Prudence’. Sounds like Lady Alexia will be passing her Parasol along to her daughter – I can’t wait!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timeless.

04/07/2012 page 113
33.0% "Chapter seven"
04/07/2012 page 232
68.0% "Alexia was not a particularly musical person, and her husband, a noted opera singer in his human days had once described her bath time warblings as those of a deranged badger."
show 2 hidden updates…