Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter's Reviews > Pancakes

Pancakes by Manna Francis

Feb 20, 2012

bookshelves: m-m, novellas-or-short-stories, manna-francis, freebies, dystopian
Read in February, 2012

4.5 stars.

Eventually the kisses faded out and there was nothing but the slow, steady movement, building pleasure in deepening layers. Beautiful, blissful, but as the minutes stretched slowly past Toreth felt a faint stirring of unease. It was like the sim in a way: timeless, dreamy, and cut out of normal life. Yet not like the sim, because there was no distance, no awareness of another world somewhere else. It felt sickeningly intimate. There was no plan, no protocol, no roles, and no game.

Usually, it's Toreth who is in charge and is making demands. Why, Toreth, did you feel a little bit thrown off course?

Toreth stared after him, too taken aback to react. He'd had the whole evening planned out, and the sudden wrench off course threw him utterly. When the fuck had Warrick started being the one who could walk out?

After this incident, Toreth is showing up at three in the morning at Warrick's flat, unable to stand, sick and unhappy. What follows suit is quite a revelation…

Toreth can't cook. He is utterly fascinated by Warrick's cooking skills:

"Cooking is very like programming. It requires a sound understanding of basic principles, the patience not to cut corners, and -" he grinned briefly, "- a great deal of talent." Oh, you're a show-off, Warrick!

Jeez, LOVED, LOVE, LOVED this short story! It was f***ing great! Please, don't mind my filthy language. For the first time I received the impression that I got a few glimpses into the mind of my beloved Toreth. It went way deeper than the previous stories. Imagine, Toreth IS human AND vulnerable. The tough guy is totally insecure when it comes to feelings and he is afraid what he could feel for Warrick. Uh-oh, it's quite frightening when we have to admit that we need someone, as in someone particular to feel at ease and happy, isn't it Toreth?? Warrick likes to see Toreth asleep in his bed. He liked the idea of watching him wake up. And he likes the way that his flat felt different, warmer and more alive. And he felt the sudden urge to make pancakes for Toreth. Wow, I just love to see these two guys together!

There are some funny moments too. Dear Sara has got a cat:

Toreth studied the apparition from a safe distance. "It looks like a badly-stitched-together traffic accident in a scabby black fur coat two sizes too large. Why are its teeth sticking out like that?"

Yes, Sara, you're a sweetie! I really like you.

Conclusion: YES, PLEASE, I WANT MORE!

Note to readers

To get the picture it's important to read this series in order!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pancakes.

02/26/2012 "I'm 100 % done with Pancakes. This was f***ing great! Oh, don't mind my filthy language. LOVED IT!!!! Review to come..."
04/21/2016 marked as: read

Lenore Shhh...Just shhh....

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Lenore wrote: "Shhh...Just shhh...."

LOLOLOL Yeah, shhh...somehow it was cute. I love it when guys struggle with their feelings and emotions.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Mary Elizabeth wrote: "all I can say is that the title is making me hungry ;)"

LOL Mary Elizabeth! Go cook and eat something!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Mary Elizabeth wrote: "sad thing is I just did LOL"

LOL ^___^

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle [Helen Geek] Great review - as usual. What is the series order. Can't tell like you usually can.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Michelle wrote: "Great review - as usual. What is the series order. Can't tell like you usually can."

You have to read them in order, Michelle. I have the file. If you want it I'd need your email address and I'll be sending them to you. :)

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle [Helen Geek] I'll send you a PM. Thanks!!

Laura LOVED, LOVE, LOVED this short story! --haha...Ditto! :) And love this review, Baba! :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Laura wrote: "LOVED, LOVE, LOVED this short story! --haha...Ditto! :) And love this review, Baba! :)"

Thanks, Laura! I think we're so on the same page here. :D