Sabrina's Reviews > Valeria's Cross

Valeria's Cross by Kathi Macias

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: free-nook-book, historical-fiction, reviewed
Read from March 08 to 09, 2012

I don’t like it when a book is written in a way that over explains things. The dialogue was choppy and ungraceful most of the time. What kept me reading, though, is the fascinating storyline. Your lover is killed by a ruthless general and you are forced to marry this general shortly afterwards. Can you imagine?! This is a time where woman had no voice, so she couldn’t just walk away and say No, although, kudos to her for trying. I believe the description of this book is a little misleading as there is only a very small portion of romance in this story. (I’m not complaining-just saying) There is a whole other story going on that was captivating to read about.

Valeria and her Mother were Christian’s living with a Pagan Emperor. When this was first introduced in the book, the authors didn’t make a big deal about it. Our characters just kinda went around from church to priest learning and practicing the religion. I didn’t realize it was such an issue until they started delving into the whole Christian persecutions. I wish the authors had taken the time to express how dangerous it was for Valeria and her Mother to want to change over to this new religion. Why did they want to change? Why did their Emperor (Father/Husband) allow it.

Even though the description of the book states it is a story based on true events, I somehow missed that and didn’t realize until the Author’s note that these are real people, real events. The things I’m still learning!

So, while not an overly well written story, captivating none-the-less and I’m glad I read it. And, the book cover is beautiful!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Valeria's Cross.