Darkfallen's Reviews > Captivated

Captivated by Deb Apodaca

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: read-n-reviewed
Read from February 20 to 21, 2012

Ya know when you read a synopsis of a book and you think that it's going to be this great book, and then you read it and it kinda sucks? Well this is NOT that book.

This book completely lived up to my expectations. It was full of action in all the right places and there were plenty of heart melting moments to balance everything out. And then there was the ending, but I'll get back to that in a minute...

Mindy and Dean were childhood friends. That is until the night Dean comes home to find his parents brutally murdered after seeing a weird pale man go into the woods behind his house. After that everything changed. Dean stopped talking to Mindy, or anyone else for that matter, and as for Mindy? Well she kind of moved on. Made new friends. Did her own thing. And tried to not worry to much about the boy that no longer talked to her. That is until she notices him looking at her, and she can't help but to question why. Why is he suddenly always staring at her. That cold dead stare always boring into her. Also why did this seem to start around the time that Shane, the new kid, showed up? And why is it that every time Shane talks to her does she almost feel hypnotized by the this perfect new kid?

When the secrets start to unravel, and the pieces start to fall together, the real question is will Mindy pick the right guy? Or the wrong monster?

I loved this book! Yeah, okay sure there were a few editing errors, but nothing major. And I felt there were a few places where things could be sewn up a little tighter, just to pull it all together more smoothly, but in the end this was a great fast read that kept me on the end of my seat. But lets get back to the best/worst part....the ending.

Of course I can't tell you what happens at the very end, because where would the fun be in that? But what I can say is this...this author, Deb Apodaca, has guts. Most authors can't resist the urge to give us all our HEA. They always leave some glimmer of hope at the end, or they do a total fairytale moment where the guy always gets the girl, and the reader always swoons. Not here folks. At the very end she pulls the rug out from under our feet and gives us reality, and in reality things aren't always so pretty now are they? Which leaves me wanting more that anything to see where the next book in this series is going to go. Because even though hope has been taken away, I as a reader refuse to believe that, so I will hang on to hope and prey for that twist to come out of left field and make everything all okay again.

So do yourself a favor and pick this up. Join me and fall in love with Dean in a way that is usually reserved for Edward Cullen. Or Jacob depending on what team you were on. Lol *winks*
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captivated.

02/20/2012
50.0% "Dean inched closer. "Every time I look at you..." he paused again and his eyes wandered down to my quivering lips. His breathing was hard, but he continued "...every time I look at you...I want to kiss you.""