Jon's Reviews > Shades of Earth

Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Jan 23, 13

bookshelves: science-fiction, dystopia-post-apocalyptic, aliens, alternating-povs, male-pov, mystery, love-triangle
Read from January 16 to 17, 2013

Seen at Scott Reads It

"Space may be the final frontier but it's made in a Hollywood basement" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

There will be spoilers for Across The Universe and A Million Suns. In this review there are no spoilers for Shades of Earth at all.
You're probably asking yourself: "Why is he quoting the Red Hot Chili Peppers?". I have always wanted to go to space and discover new planets and stars. The likelihood of me going to space is probably is about as likely as me winning the lottery jackpot. Space has never felt so real and tangible until I read the Across The Universe trilogy. I would like to thank Revis for letting me experience the beauty and wonders of space without leaving my sofa. I was dying to read Beth Revis so on January 15th I scrambled to the library to pick up Shades Of Earth.

There's so much I have to say about Shades Of Earth and I don't think any review could do Shades of Earth justice. Shades of Earth leaves off right after that fantastic cliffhanger in A Million Suns. Elder and Amy have finally left Godspeed and are on Centauri-Earth trying to build a new home. The problem is that Centauri Earth is full of secrets and danger that pose a threat to our colonists.

Shades of Earth includes our good ol' favorites like Amy and Elder plus a whole new bunch of people from the military. We finally meet Amy's parents but the meeting isn't as pleasant as I would have hoped. Amy's Dad wants to use any means to colonize Centauri-Earth and I had an immediate distaste for him. He was so way too serious and aggressive even with his own daughter. I understand that a military leader needs to be tough and serious but he doesn't need be that way all the time. We really don't get to know Amy's mom much because Revis really focuses on Amy's Dad instead. There are so many deaths in Shades of Earth and I honestly couldn't care less about the characters who died. A majority of the characters who died in this book lacked characterization and emotional depth so when they died I wasn't affected at all. If you have tons of characters die in a book that's fine as long as affects the reader emotionally but I was rather indifferent.

Even my favorite characters in the book really were frexing annoying in the beginning of the novel. Amy was acting rather childish in the beginning and she evens mentions how childish she was acting a few times. Elder wants to be tried to treated like a leader yet he doesn't act like an adult at all. Elder was constantly whining and moping how everything wasn't working out on Centauri-Earth and how he abandoned his people. I really wanted Elder to take charge and act like a true leader.

There is a love triangle in Shades of Earth and I wasn't a fan of the romance in this book. I really didn't find Chris appealing in anyway and from the start I had a distaste for him. Chris was an integral part of the story but feel like Revis unnecessarily made Chris a love interest. Otherwise Amy and Elder's relationship was really sweet and I really enjoyed the romance aspect of this book.

Shades Of Earth is a great conclusion to Revis's ATU Trilogy. I feel like everything was tied up nicely and the ending of Shades of Earth was just simply incredible. I didn't totally approve of the love triangle in this book and SoE was a little bit slower paced than the other two books. Some of the characters in this book were a bit cliche especially Amy's Dad and Chris. For the most part Shades of Earth had a very original plot with tons of plot twists that really kept me on the edge of my seat. Nevertheless despite it's flaws, I really enjoyed reading Shades of Earth! The mystery in Shades of Earth was simply captivating and engaging. I would definitely recommend reading Shades of Earth and I hope Revis writes a new book soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Earth.

01/16/2013 page 250
67.0% "This is simply spectacular! I don't want this trilogy to end." 7 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nandanie I say oh Ship when I want to curse! Ha! Last week, I stubbed my toe on the sidewalk and I was like "Ohhhhhhhhhh Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip" I was going to say the actuaal word but my mom appeared out of nowhere!

message 2: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon Haha you need to read Across the Universe it's frexing amazing..

Nandanie I am one step ahead-I already have a copy reserved for me at the library. Picking it up tomorrow!

message 4: by Hanna (new) - added it

Hanna My goodness, you were not only able to contact the brilliant author, but have her contact you back? How brilly! I'm so envious and excited, I might faint. Though we have to wait such a LONG frexing time, we have the third book and a new series from Revis to look forward to! AHH! :D

message 5: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon Yup I had an interview with Mrs. Revis!

message 6: by Isabelle (new) - added it

Isabelle Haha loving all the across the universe lingo.

Lora Palmer Wonderful interview! Love that Ms. Revis already has plans for another series and can't wait to see what she comes up with next!

message 8: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon Thanks Isabelle!! Lora, Ms. Revis was extremely kind and I just love her writing!

Lora Palmer So do I! I'm listening to Across the Universe in audiobook again. Just amazing! A Million Suns was my first Kindle preorder, and Shades of Earth is my only outstanding preorder. Too bad we have to wait until January to find out how the series concludes!

message 10: by Tay (new)

Tay dude, that is hilarious! i totally loved the first two and i cant wait for the next frexing one! Oh stars! I gotta go!

Christine Scott I love your frexing description! It made my day!

message 12: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon Oh thanks Christine!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Munoz Is it going to be a trilogy , or a series?