The Biblio Fairy's Reviews > Arcadia Awakens

Arcadia Awakens by Kai Meyer

F 50x66
Feb 24, 12

Read from February 20 to 22, 2012

Read full review at The Fairytale Nerd.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

The setting. The story takes place in Sicily. I am a sucker for books that are set in any European country. I find them fascinating. Alluring. Exotic.

The mafia theme. I am also a sucker for all things mafia. And this book is IT. Kai Meyer integrated all the necessary gangster story ingredients that I am looking for: treachery, crime, cruelty, deceit, and of course a good romance. This is not to say that this is a full blown mafia book like the Godfather by Mario Puzo. It's not. It's still very tame and mild. Still completely YA.

The Romeo and Juliet theme. Forbidden romances! The main character is in love with the enemy's son. Now, this may seem pretty common in today's YA literature. But let me tell you that the romance in this book is not forced and fake, unlike the other YA couplings. There is no instalove here. The romance is gradual and steady. In fact, this story is not driven by the hormones of the characters. There is a very good story behind the sweet romance.

The originality. I am impressed. The author managed to weave mafia, shape-shifting, and Greek mythology into a very detailed, very intricate, very intriguing story. What can be more original than that?

I have issues with the way some of the sentences were formed. I feel like there are not enough transition sentences. Hence, it is not as smooth as I would like it to be. Also, there were some sentences that I found a bit strange. It tried to be all ornate, fancy, and metaphorical, but it just didn't come out right. However, keep in mind that this book is originally in German, and was just translated to the English language. So, it's not the author's fault at all. How I wish I could understand German so I can read and devour this book in its original language.

I just have to say that the characters in this book seem more mature than their counterparts. This may be attributed to their exposure to crimes and all the other mafia business. Nevertheless, I love how the main character transformed from being "just a girl" to a very powerful mafia boss. Her determination and will power is just impressive and beyond her years. I have nothing more to say except that, this is my first Kai Meyer book and it has made my favorites list.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcadia Awakens.